DeepCastMike

What color lures are best at night

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Hey guys, me again!! sorry for the all the questions but getting back into the game again and i can not fell more enthusiastic. Is there a book or something that can help with what color lures are better say at night, day, rough water, rain etc? Just wanted to get my gear going. I will most likely be fishing at night and early am alot

1 min ago, DeepCastMike said:

Hey guys, me again!! sorry for the all the questions but getting back into the game again and i can not fell more enthusiastic. Is there a book or something that can help with what color lures are better say at night, day, rough water, rain etc? Just wanted to get my gear going. I will most likely be fishing at night and early am alot

I'm not sure about a book but can strongly recommend black, purple, or "blurple", which is a black/purple mix. I never fish at night without those colors, and have caught quite well with them. 

In stained water from rain, I do prefer colors that stick out, such as white/bone/chartreuse.

Daytime can almost be an anything goes scenario; there are many colors that can work. Natural baitfish colors or even the most unusual colors can produce fish.

Rough water can be fished well with lures such as bottle plugs, bucktails, metals like an AVA, or even some jerkbaits like an SP Minnow. 

Tight lines.

This is the year of the bone.  Bone during the day, bone at night as in this past Fri which was new moon and the darkest night of the month yet bone worked.  Don't get too caught up into it.  The fish will tell you what they want. 

2nd the vote on bone. Although I always did like black bombers at night, bone 24/7 has produced fish for a few people.

have blurple but everything will work and if your fishing different spots light reflects differently off different bottoms your lure will look different on rocky or sandy and water depth.  

this is what i have/ recommend  in black/ blurple,

Must haves

mag darter - i think this is a must in nj

Sp minnow - i willbring blurple but probably have a few other colors

should have and can be niche

bottle plug -  just because i like them but i will also throw bone or yellow over white ss

Darter -   this can be any but i usually use an old gibs, LS 69 or ss.  this is probably not important for this time of year in NJ 

i don't have a black metal lip so i show other colors. 

19 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

this is what i have/ recommend  in black/ blurple,

Must haves

mag darter - i think this is a must in nj

Sp minnow - i willbring blurple but probably have a few other colors

should have and can be niche

bottle plug -  just because i like them but i will also throw bone or yellow over white ss

Darter -   this can be any but i usually use an old gibs, LS 69 or ss.  this is probably not important for this time of year in NJ 

i don't have a black metal lip so i show other colors. 

What if he's fishing sod banks and the shallows there skippy?

I'll be going out tonight and I can tell you for the shallow areas I'll be at the Hyrdro minnow will be at the end of my line on every cast.  It gets distance when necessary and swims just under the surface.  Bone 1st,  Chartreuse back Pearly body Orange Belly 2nd.  Those two colors will catch on a new moon and a full moon.

Bring a RedFin in bone also so that it crawls on the surface creating the wake.