robc22

Glass eels

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So they busted 4 Mainers in Wareham for taking glass eels. They also had crack and a handgun.........:thumbd:

Stupid jerks........Glad they got caught......... :th:

Edited by TimS
We don’t allow FB links, please copy/paste the relevant portion of the article - thanks.

From what I read elsewhere, they didn't have gun but they had ammo. Is that illegal in MA?

Edited by MakoMike

Booked on a number of charges including

Chapter 269 Section 10h: possession of ammunition without a valid LTC/FID

24 mins ago, MakoMike said:

From what I read elsewhere, they didn't have gun but they had ammo. Is that illegal in MA?

Yes you need a FID/LTC even for possession of ammunition in MA.

If the fishery up there is supposedly so good they can withstand the onslaught  as people have espoused... why would anyone drive all the way down here to poach them?

34 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

If the fishery up there is supposedly so good they can withstand the onslaught  as people have espoused... why would anyone drive all the way down here to poach them?

The poaching has always been going on. They have been getting caught (in Massachusetts and other states) more and more each year. Typically it is the same offenders or "persons related" (relative/partner).....

51 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Because they can't get a license in the state of ME?

And now they've upped the ante by bring their problems ( cocaine and heroin) over the border and into Ma.

Just keep in mind, this elver poaching goes on in every herring run and river that flows into saltwater. So if you observe suspicion activity, it might be more guys like this.

4 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Competition for the good spots on Maine rivers can be fierce..........I'm guessing they were looking for an easy payday.....They prolly figured our rivers were loaded with elvers. They are really not btw..........

They are down there because it's a little early for up here. I ran in to a real gnarly eel fisherman on the Presumpscot river a few years back  he said on a good night he makes tens of thousands of dollars. They really need to hit these pouchers hard or the reward will continue to out weigh the risk in the eyes of the unscrupulous.

Edited by fishing addict