DeepCastMike

Suggestions for Surf Rods?? What do you use?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I suggest getting a cheaper rod and reel until you learn how not to destroy them in the surf environment (unless you got $$$, then please employ people who make more expensive rods). It is my belief I catch more than 90% of the people who hit the beach and I probably have close to the cheapest gear out there. Just saying...its the person working the rod, not the rod itself....at least that's what she said

On 4/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, Frugal Fisherman said:

I use a 9ft penn prevail paired with a penn fierce 4000 spinning reel. It's held up for 3 seasons but i haven't had anything over 15lbs on it so i can't attest to it's durability with big girls....when shorts to keepers are the likely catch, i just use a 7ft st criox triumph baitcating rod with a shimano antares reel. I've skated in some keeper sized stripers with the 7ft set-up. 

I have have 20lb j-braid on the penn gear connected via uni to uni Knott to around 18" of 20lb mono leader and TA clips...20 lb power pro to 18"of mono leader on the baitcaster

My thinking is that I'll fish with what i have until a fish destroys my gear

My 9’ penn prevail is my longest surviving surf rod. Has outlived some much more expensive set ups. I also second the penn fierce. Of course only if your trying to go easy on the wallet. A penn fierce can only handle about 1-2 dozen gators before the gears are shot

I think it's good to start out with 2 rods....I like longer rods personally, but one rod meant to handle up to 8 oz and one rod meant to handle up to 4-5 oz. Or if you want just one rod, get the rod meant to handle 4-5 oz. Cabelas has an Offshore Angler Frigate 10' spinning combo for sale right now. The Penn Fierce is also in 10' at cabelas. The nice thing about cheap rod and reel combos, is if the reel give out but the rod holds, you can always buy a better reel down the road.

I like the longer rods because it really helps keep the line above the action of the waves, and on the occasions I am targeting fish which are on sand bars or out in the cuts between bars, having a longer rod helps heave the bait further. And there is something exceptionally cool about fighting a big fish on a really long rod. It's quite dramatic. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you dont have a 9 foot rod start there. I like the mojo but other people do not. 

A 10" 6 rod is what you need if you never want to be able to reach fish but it's often overkill for Nj. A 10 foot rod would have sucked last fall.

Edited by crazybellringer

To be honest, most of my surf fishing isn't for stripers and I do lots of surf fishing south of jersey.  I just target stripers when they are around in abundance and then target what is biting other times. When I give my advice, that's the perspective it's coming from. Sometimes the blues are out further than you would fish for stripers, and sometimes the kingfish are right in the wash. Sometimes the kingfish are out further than most people can cast. My shortest rod for bait in the surf is 12'. I use 7-8 foot rods for casting smaller metals and bucktails and for fishing for kingfish in the wash and at the lip. My absolute favorite surf rod is a 3 piece 13'. It is sensitive enough for detecting whiting and spot and snapper blue strikes but can also handle 5 oz lead. Also has the backbone to handle smallish blacktips and decent sized rays. I guess it's my equivalent of a 12 gauge pump...general purpose works for everything withing limits. No fun for casting 2 oz spoons or bucktails all day...too heavy, but works for awhile. 

I have 4 St Croix surf rods, 2 Avids and 2 Legends. Last year I made the "mistake" of buying an ODM Frontier X 9'6". It's been my "goto" rod. Like it so much I bought the 10'6" X  and the 10' Genesis.

I have a 9'6" Tsunami Elite which I use just for bucktails.

If you're only going to get one rod, I'd look at the 10' range and 1-4 oz rating.

II'm gonna agree with fdhog. While I have a surf rod which can handle 6oz plus, that's because I'm pretty hard core and am willing to surf fish when most people won't. If you need more than 4 oz, it's probably too rough/windy for a beginner and will just lead to frustration. And another nice thing about surf rods is they are long enough to beat off seagulls when they try to get your bait. 

Greetings...I'm a new member and don't want to start off by hijacking a thread but I have similar request re surf rod suggestion.  I'm not a regular/avid surf fisherman (that may change when I retire...a long time from now) but have been fishing for over 40yrs and I'm ready to upgrade my surf rod selection (basically 80s vintage rods like UglyStik).  I fish beaches between Delaware & Wilmington, NC but most often Assateague (trying to catch anything from mullet/pompano to drum/blues/rock).  I have read a lot of similar threads and NewWaveDave's feedback resonates most based on my experience.  I've had trouble keeping line above wave break (with 9ft rod) and since I'm not a fair-weather fisherman I have needed 5-6oz to hold bottom.   I was originally thinking of purchasing one higher end (eg ODM x) all-around surf rod but now I think it will make more sense to have 2 (less expensive) sizes.  I have an opportunity to get Penn Carnage II at a really good price so that's where I'm leaning (I already have reels, btw). Based on the above, is this good logic and, if so, what two sizes/actions would provide me the best combo for my needs?   Many thanks!

Looks like you're a bait fisherman. You won't be using the same rod for bait and plugs. If you intend to do both, get 2 rods. A plus rod rated 3/4 or 1-4 and another capable of tossing 8oz. Tsunami Airwave Elite is cheap enough for a plug rod.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:28 PM, fdhog said:

Looks like you're a bait fisherman. You won't be using the same rod for bait and plugs. If you intend to do both, get 2 rods. A plus rod rated 3/4 or 1-4 and another capable of tossing 8oz. Tsunami Airwave Elite is cheap enough for a plug rod.

Good points...thx.  I forgot to mention that I'm mostly using bait.  I like casting plugs/etc in Chesapeake and some rivers  but my timing usually isn't right for that during my surf fishing trips. With that, maybe I can just get a longer surf rod capable of tossing 8oz.  I just didn't want to lose the sensitivity for smaller fish; thus was considering two different sizes.  I've read many positive comments about Tsunami (and Tica).  Thanks again for the feedback!

I really like longer rods for keeping bait above the wave action....but some people use 6' sand spikes so I guess that does the same thing. Something to think about, beyond the rod and reel, is the line you are going to use. I made the switch from mono to braid a couple years ago, and while there was a learning curve, I'm not going to go back. I like 20-30 lb braid cause it is super sensitive, not much wind/water resistance, and I can cast a country mile with it with a 4-5 oz sinker. That being said, I needed to learn to tie on a shock leader so I didn't cut my finger with that skinny line when casting heavy sinkers with a spinner reel. Some people, when they are new to large spinner outfits, get heavy mono then get upset when they can't cast far. 

i learned the bimini twist to tied a 25' mono shock leader to the braid. Some guys, esp people who fish in crowded areas, complain the braid cuts their mono when lines get tangled and the lines are under tension (like when there is a big fish on and the fish is running around.) To me, that's like complaining about people using rods because someone wants to use a handline. The biggest complaints I have heard about that come from the Hatteras Point.

1 hour ago, NewWaveDave said:

I really like longer rods for keeping bait above the wave action....but some people use 6' sand spikes so I guess that does the same thing. Something to think about, beyond the rod and reel, is the line you are going to use. I made the switch from mono to braid a couple years ago, and while there was a learning curve, I'm not going to go back. I like 20-30 lb braid cause it is super sensitive, not much wind/water resistance, and I can cast a country mile with it with a 4-5 oz sinker. That being said, I needed to learn to tie on a shock leader so I didn't cut my finger with that skinny line when casting heavy sinkers with a spinner reel. Some people, when they are new to large spinner outfits, get heavy mono then get upset when they can't cast far. 

Just put white bandage tape around your finger. I do that even with plugs.