DeepCastMike

Suggestions for Surf Rods?? What do you use?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Hey Guys been fishing on and off for years but been behind the balls lately. I am looking to really go all in on surf fishing. Its a love that never died for me. So will be dedicated to this alot. With that being said i was wondering some suggestions on a good surf fishing rod 7' 8' etc and brands. Let me know what you all suggest and use. Thanks again all!!

Thee is no such thing as the perfect "surf rod" you'll need one for lite chunking, one for heavy chunking. You also need a good plugging rod - really several, one for lite lures one for medium and one for heavy lures. What kind of reel are you using? You have to match the rod with the reel. Check out St Croix, they have all those and are excellent, I own over a dozen St Croix's and they are all great.

Posted (edited) · Report post

yeah

luckily when I wanted to buy 3 of the heavy ( sturgeon ) rods the store didn`t have 3

so I took 2

and regreted that fact until I realised that those are really unforgiving and non compliant when casting

and than bought lighter one to go with those

that light one makes me smile with every cast

Edited by glos

1 hour ago, DeepCastMike said:

Hey Guys been fishing on and off for years but been behind the balls lately. I am looking to really go all in on surf fishing. Its a love that never died for me. So will be dedicated to this alot. With that being said i was wondering some suggestions on a good surf fishing rod 7' 8' etc and brands. Let me know what you all suggest and use. Thanks again all!!

There are so many options out there. If you're going "all in", I'll assume you're not looking for cheap quality tackle.

Some good options in the 8' range for a plugging rod include:

Tsunami Airwave Elite 8'8 $160 or so

St. Croix Mojo Surf 8' - $180 or so

St. Croix Avid Surf 8' - $260 or so

Lamiglas GSB GSB81MS - $380 or so

ODM and Century make some real quality sticks if you're looking at the $300 and up price point. St Croix and Lamiglas do as well. 

One of my favorite rods is a 9' Tica medium/medium with a Tsunami Shield 4K.  It's a great casting light combo that suits the North Shore beaches for schoolies.  I also have a 10' star rod with a 6K shield if I'm targeting bigger fish (the reel is a little big for the rod).  Chunking rod is a Okuma longitude 11" 3-8 oz.

Great i am looking at the Tsunami Airwave Elite.. 8'- i think this will do the trick for striper fishing!! I am going to keep my eye open for 10' also

1 hour ago, DeepCastMike said:

Great i am looking at the Tsunami Airwave Elite.. 8'- i think this will do the trick for striper fishing!! I am going to keep my eye open for 10' also

If I had a choice I'd buy a rod longer than 9' for plugging with lures. An 8' can do quite a few things, but IMO is a little under-gunned for many scenarios. A 10' is a good "all round" length.

18 mins ago, Fi**** 2 said:

What reel are you using? What pound test do you fish? Is this for lures or chunking? 

20lb test braided for Lures, im thinking for chunking i will use the 10'

On 4/8/2019 at 1:03 PM, TopwaterPete said:

If I had a choice I'd buy a rod longer than 9' for plugging with lures. An 8' can do quite a few things, but IMO is a little under-gunned for many scenarios. A 10' is a good "all round" length.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This is very good advice. Start off with at least a 9 footer.  A 10 is even a better starter. There are plenty of good options with rod brands in all price ranges.

I use a 9ft penn prevail paired with a penn fierce 4000 spinning reel. It's held up for 3 seasons but i haven't had anything over 15lbs on it so i can't attest to it's durability with big girls....when shorts to keepers are the likely catch, i just use a 7ft st criox triumph baitcating rod with a shimano antares reel. I've skated in some keeper sized stripers with the 7ft set-up. 

I have have 20lb j-braid on the penn gear connected via uni to uni Knott to around 18" of 20lb mono leader and TA clips...20 lb power pro to 18"of mono leader on the baitcaster

My thinking is that I'll fish with what i have until a fish destroys my gear

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 10 or 10'6  St Croix for plugging and river baiting and a 10'6 tica for bait. I've never caught squat plugging yet except one blue but it's a great rod. Super light. 

The only keeper sized striper I caught was on a 7 ft Penn fierce 2 4000 combo frugal and it worked fine. It's really my fluke outfit though.

Cheapest rod I own is an ugly stik for fresh water and most expensive is a St Croix mojo with a Penn battle. I normally don't think it's necessary to buy super expensive stuff but I tried a kastking reel for salt which sucked, a cheap Penn combo for jetties which sucked, and a Cabela's combo for LMB which also sucked (rod broke first year and reel drag quit working following year). Sometimes you get what you pay for and since good stuff tends to last for a long time it can be worth the investment. I'm cool with my $90 fierce combo for fluke though, works perfect.

Edited by hurricane1091

I absolutely love my 3 piece 15 foot trebuchet. I got it from Cabelas years ago and have landed cow nosed rays, butterfly rays, gator blues, and even kingfish and puppy drum with it. Oh, and the 41" 25 lb striper in my photo. Years of good service, handles up to 6 oz well, does best with 4 oz. I h