bassturds

ocean pout?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, bassturds said:

how the hell do I catch a conger eel? Can they be found in CCB?

Congers (silver eels) look just like your bass eels but they have a very grey color and somewhat nastier teeth. Also, the average size is three feet, often bigger.

I'm sure there would be some in CCB but better would be the other side, south of Hyannis (like Bishops and Clerks) around rocky bottom structures, wrecks and broken bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jason colby said:

Congers (silver eels) look just like your bass eels but they have a very grey color and somewhat nastier teeth. Also, the average size is three feet, often bigger.

I'm sure there would be some in CCB but better would be the other side, south of Hyannis (like Bishops and Clerks) around rocky bottom structures, wrecks and broken bottom.

Ok, I need to get a boat to go offshore and chase these cool fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hotfishgirl said:

caught a bunch of ocean pout last year in lobster pots,what i hate are those prickly redish eel looking fish.

Yeah I never knew the name of that fish but the way all those needles/thorns whatever would pop out along their body was pretty freaky........I was always very careful with them....looked like a bad case of fish poisoning just waiting to happen.

The hauler brings the traps up from the bottom so fast that the fish in them would be stunned. Seemed like you had a short window to get them out of the pot but if they got their bearings they could be a handful for sure!

Would like to know the name of that eely fish. Not sure it is a snake eel or something like that ?

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robc22 said:

Yeah I never knew the name of that fish but the way all those needles/thorns whatever would pop out along their body was pretty freaky........I was always very careful with them....looked like a bad case of fish poisoning just waiting to happen.

The hauler brings the traps up from the bottom so fast that the fish in them would be stunned. Seemed like you had a short window to get them out of the pot but if they got their bearings they could be a handful for sure!

Would like to know the name of that eely fish. Not sure it is a snake eel or something like that ?

  

Sea Raven?? Those things are crazy looking!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, robc22 said:

Yeah I never knew the name of that fish but the way all those needles/thorns whatever would pop out along their body was pretty freaky........I was always very careful with them....looked like a bad case of fish poisoning just waiting to happen.

The hauler brings the traps up from the bottom so fast that the fish in them would be stunned. Seemed like you had a short window to get them out of the pot but if they got their bearings they could be a handful for sure!

Would like to know the name of that eely fish. Not sure it is a snake eel or something like that ?

  

I think I caught one years ago near fishing ledge. Do these fish have sunken eyes??

ill try to find a pic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

caught a bunch of ocean pout last year in lobster pots,what i hate are those prickly redish eel looking fish.

I believe that you are referring to Wrymouth, a rose colored eel like fish with dots on it, and an alien looking head. I have caught a few on the East side of CC Bay on very soft bottom. Did not know what they were until a Mainer told me they were "Wrymouth". I don't think that they are very plentiful anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, jason colby said:

Back in the mid 80's I was getting $2-$2.75 for large and jumbo scup. "My crewman", who still gill nets, lobsters and fish pots is limited to very low poundage and getting crap for returns (less than 1/2 what we got back then). Tough way to make a living....

Those same fish returned somewhere between 30 and 50 cents on average last season. Talked to people looking to try marketing them as lobster bait for 40 cents or so. Plenty available though! The upside is the Feds have reduced the dogfish quota by 50 % this season, so they should top out at around 25 cents. With all this management; What's a fisherman got to worry about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, jason colby said:

Back in the mid 80's I was getting $2-$2.75 for large and jumbo scup. "My crewman", who still gill nets, lobsters and fish pots is limited to very low poundage and getting crap for returns (less than 1/2 what we got back then). Tough way to make a living....

 

Edited by Justfishin
Double Post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Justfishin said:

I believe that you are referring to Wrymouth, a rose colored eel like fish with dots on it, and an alien looking head. I have caught a few on the East side of CC Bay on very soft bottom. Did not know what they were until a Mainer told me they were "Wrymouth". I don't think that they are very plentiful anywhere.

Yep........That's the guy.......Thx bud!........:th:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrymouth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Sheepshead Bay party boats, we used to call the pouts "Joey Browns" because  of their large mouths. (That's a reference to an old time comic (1940's or there abouts) Still all the ocean pouts AKA Conger eels , you want at 17 Fathoms. The pouts , wrongly called Conger eels, have pretty much replaced the Blackfish and Cod. 17 is also a great place to catch endangered horned dog-fish. Gonna be like fishing in western europe where all the desirable fish are only old guy memories, and all the skates, dog-fish, sea robins etc become the "targeted species"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.