bassturds

ocean pout?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Just curious about ocean pout and why we don't see them. I've caught one in a trap once lobstering off Marshfield. I have also caught one fishing for flounder in shallow off Marshfield. 
They are a cool fish you don't hear much about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, bassturds said:

Just curious about ocean pout and why we don't see them. I've caught one in a trap once lobstering off Marshfield. I have also caught one fishing for flounder in shallow off Marshfield. 
They are a cool fish you don't hear much about

They are a relatively deep water fish that don't spend much time near shore.  If you work lobster gear out at the fishing ledge in CCB you would see a lot of them.

A real challenge to bridle rig but they make a decent hook bait for BFT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, bassturds said:

Just curious about ocean pout and why we don't see them. I've caught one in a trap once lobstering off Marshfield. I have also caught one fishing for flounder in shallow off Marshfield. 
They are a cool fish you don't hear much about

The draggers wiped them out at the same time they were wiping out the cod populations. They come into the bays and harbors and the inshore coastal waters in the spring to spawn (along with COD and flounder) and with the state waters (of Massachusetts) intensified dragging for flounder that the state seems to want to kill every one of, the by-catch issue of pout, cod, blackfish and anything else gets thrown out the window. They will not be allowed to recover as long as the state allows dragging in state waters from March-May when these species are moving in, full of eggs. 

I met with David Pierce Massachusetts Director of The DMF) on July 11th, 2018 and laid out my case and he agreed with me! He promised he was going to "do something about it" and I was on him every month after that to hold him to his word. Last fall, he came up with his "solution" and that was to ban dragging and gill netting in State Waters north of Plymouth to the NH line during the month of April only. Not enough but at least "something", after all, the state has been exceeding it's state waters flounder quota in each of the last several years, sometimes by over 50% and with no accountability!

Then, on March 27th, 2019 David Pierce rescinded his April closure citing that "they (statically) found more flounder tonnage to kill by transferring some federal quota to the state.

That they bend over backwards for the draggers to enable them to wipe out the last viable inshore population of the winter flounder species left anywhere in the world, knowing that these boats are killing off breeding populations of many other species in the process shows what "fishery management" is really all about.

"Kill everything you can today and worry about the consequences tomorrow". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, jason colby said:

The draggers wiped them out at the same time they were wiping out the cod populations. They come into the bays and harbors and the inshore coastal waters in the spring to spawn (along with COD and flounder) and with the state waters (of Massachusetts) intensified dragging for flounder that the state seems to want to kill every one of, the by-catch issue of pout, cod, blackfish and anything else gets thrown out the window. They will not be allowed to recover as long as the state allows dragging in state waters from March-May when these species are moving in, full of eggs. 

I met with David Pierce Massachusetts Director of The DMF) on July 11th, 2018 and laid out my case and he agreed with me! He promised he was going to "do something about it" and I was on him every month after that to hold him to his word. Last fall, he came up with his "solution" and that was to ban dragging and gill netting in State Waters north of Plymouth to the NH line during the month of April only. Not enough but at least "something", after all, the state has been exceeding it's state waters flounder quota in each of the last several years, sometimes by over 50% and with no accountability!

Then, on March 27th, 2019 David Pierce rescinded his April closure citing that "they (statically) found more flounder tonnage to kill by transferring some federal quota to the state.

That they bend over backwards for the draggers to enable them to wipe out the last viable inshore population of the winter flounder species left anywhere in the world, knowing that these boats are killing off breeding populations of many other species in the process shows what "fishery management" is really all about.

"Kill everything you can today and worry about the consequences tomorrow". 

lol I was waiting for your post!.........:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, robc22 said:

They are a relatively deep water fish that don't spend much time near shore.  If you work lobster gear out at the fishing ledge in CCB you would see a lot of them.

A real challenge to bridle rig but they make a decent hook bait for BFT 

You (and I)  forgot to mention that we are not allowed to kill ANY. Commercial or recreational....

(or for bait for that matter)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jason colby said:

You (and I)  forgot to mention that we are not allowed to kill ANY. Commercial or recreational....

(or for bait for that matter)

Ahhh....I used em for hook baits many years ago.........:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to be all we caught out on Capn Johns in July fishing for cod back in the 80s.  We called em conger eels.  Almost always threw them back unless we had an eel fan among us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jason colby said:

When men were men?

Yeah...well except for the ptown boys! But they were a lark!!........:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Used to be all we caught out on Capn Johns in July fishing for cod back in the 80s.  We called em conger eels.  Almost always threw them back unless we had an eel fan among us.

I caught one on a six pack and the captain called it a congo eel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, buz23 said:

I caught one on a six pack and the captain called it a congo eel.

You guys do know that pout are different from real conger eels? We use to call pout "the man in the brown suit" but we called conger eels silver eels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, MakoMike said:

You guys do know that pout are different from real conger eels? We use to call pout "the man in the brown suit" but we called conger eels silver eels.

Congers/silvers used to jump into my scup traps around Nantasket Shoals west of Point Judith Harbor. Sometimes there'd be so many we called it "a trap bending load". Took a couple of guys to wrestle the trap aboard and when we dumped them out, well lets just say they didn't stay in the tote.....

Mostly got 30-40 cents/pound for them and once I got 90 cents. I see the last year NOAA has stats on them was 2017 and they averaged 88 cents/pound for returns. With the cost of inflation I'd say they are worth less money now than 35 years ago!

Rob?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jason colby said:

Congers/silvers used to jump into my scup traps around Nantasket Shoals west of Point Judith Harbor. Sometimes there'd be so many we called it "a trap bending load". Took a couple of guys to wrestle the trap aboard and when we dumped them out, well lets just say they didn't stay in the tote.....

Mostly got 30-40 cents/pound for them and once I got 90 cents. I see the last year NOAA has stats on them was 2017 and they averaged 88 cents/pound for returns. With the cost of inflation I'd say they are worth less money now than 35 years ago!

Rob?

A day's pay is a day's pay...........:shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, robc22 said:

A day's pay is a day's pay...........:shrug:

Back in the mid 80's I was getting $2-$2.75 for large and jumbo scup. "My crewman", who still gill nets, lobsters and fish pots is limited to very low poundage and getting crap for returns (less than 1/2 what we got back then). Tough way to make a living....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.