Spigola

Speaking of 8 weight rods

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have one use it all the time for Snook , Reds , Trout . Lady , Jacks . Been two years now  The D stands for distance .  Here is the best I can explain the Helios .  compared to other rods & I'm no expert or even experienced with other rods " less effort makes the rod do its thing "  . With the Orvis All Rounder line it matches very well. Extremely lite casting rod . It's going to be different in the beginning because you think you want to haul HUGE !  nada , least is better IMOP . Hold on to you panties .  I compare it to a graphite golf club , less effort more distance & control .   I tested at an Orvis store also bought a Helios D 12w  also , went out with a few guides who had workhorse rods it's no comparison .   

Spig, didn't I recently read that you were in the process of downsizing your rod collection. The best laid plans of mice and men as they say,with that being said "I think I would jump on that deal".

On 4/9/2019 at 2:29 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Spigs

Come on. You are goingo buy this rod whatever anyone might say. You are a sucker for a deal.

Nice stick.

oly

You are correct Mike.

37 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

Spig, didn't I recently read that you were in the process of downsizing your rod collection. The best laid plans of mice and men as they say,with that being said "I think I would jump on that deal".

I did downsize drastically but a man has to have at least one light saltwater fly rod, right?

I registered an account just to reply to this thread. The 8wt helios 3d is in my mind, the best 8wt on the water right now. I went through all of the big boys, Salt HD, Meridian, Asquith, NRX, lamson, T&T exocett, and many others and the helios was by far the crispest, most accurate, and best feeling for me. With the exact being second. IF you can find one for half price, I highly encourage you to pick it up and try it out, if you don't like it i'll buy it off you. For a reel try and find a mirage, as that reel was designed to be primarily used on the helios line. Not saying other reels won't work, or that the mirage won't be great on other rods, but when blended, i'll throw that rod and reel in the ring against any other rod out there.

Got one after casting it. Sold my Legend Elite. No comparison.  Then bought the 5wt D for pond fishing and larger water trout. Sold my Legend Elite 4&6 weights. 5en picked up 5e H3 7.5 3 wt. Perfect blue line trout rod. Orvis is rocking with the H3 line.