Bow390

3 days before or after moons

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

34 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I don’t pay all that much attention to the moon, I try to get out and fish when I can. 

I do think the moon phase gets more credit/blame than is realistic. If you look at 3 days before/after that accounts for half a month. So, by default the moon may appear to have an impact 50% of the time regardless of the truth. 

People like to manufacture reasons for why things happen. The impact of the moon is one of them. 

I am not entirely sure about the arrival part, but the departure part related to moon phase is pretty accurate in my opinon. I do agree with get out and fish as much as possible part.  Don't stayed home and complain it's too cold, too hot, too windy, not the correct tide. Just go. 

30 mins ago, rbart said:

So you’re saying herring don’t have a pattern that relates to when they first show? You’ve never heard of the sand eel moon? When migrating fish stage in the canal in the Fall?  When they show at the Block? None of that has anything to do with the moon? Patterns that repeat year after year regardless of other factors? 

Nope 

herring are going to show when the temps dictate, not the moon phase. But since using the 3/3 bullcrap there’s a 50/50 chance it will appear that way...

Sandeel moon? Do sandeels magically appear just because the moon? Seriously? 

The canal bass are gonna stage and migrate on a moon? Good to know. What if the moon is on the first of the month? What if  it’s on the 28th? Just a bit off a difference there, no? But the bass are gonna hang around just so they can wait for the moon. Makes perfect sense!

Fish when you can, don’t pay too much attention to the old salt logic. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well then, I guess I’ll just agree to disagree with basically everything you said with the exception being fishing when you can. 

Edited by rbart

So many creatures depend upon certain moon phases. Just as they use the length of day/night, magnetic poles and probably stars. They don’t have or need written calendars, you know. 

Herring don’t just magically appear at a certain temperature either. Based upon moon, length of day, etc. they plan/expect their arrival to occur at the optimal time. And...each specie’s calendar is linked to the others. This is the pattern. We try to take one factor and turn it into a rule, but there are several factors that come together. 

I’d never seen a true Mayfly hatch until a few years ago. This one (can’t explain it but I swear it’s true) was at the mouth of a small New England river. So, there were clouds of mayflies, masses of small bait, squid, small bluefish and really large Stripers. Was it the moon?  The temperature?  Or, was everything in-sync?  Certainly, the Stripers wouldn’t know that the hatch would occur but the conditions were right for link after link of the food chain to come together - including me, the only fisherman to be there as a witness. 

We, humans, are so out of tune with nature that it’s a wonder we’ve been able to survive. However, we are the only creatures out of tune, the others all get it.  It’s much easier to predict when fishermen will arrive than it is to predict when the fish will arrive. 

To your point, Yes most modern day humans are out of tune with nature. But, when native Americans roamed our country they knew everything about the weather seasons and moon phases. They had to to survive as best they could. Today most humans know more about their iPhones than anything else. So why not use all the modern day tools and experiences we have to increase our fishing success?? Like the study of weather, tides, sunrise, sunset and Moon Phases along with bait and anything else we can??? I try to learn every day,  and that's why I'm here. 

As was stated previously the moon is responsible for creating favorable feeding conditions. I don't believe fish care about the moon, specifically. That said, i'd advise anyone to fish whenever they can and to always put as much energy/focus as possible into those few days leading up to and/or after the moon to better their chances of fishing during those optimal feeding conditions.  Feeding conditions meaning more water movement. 

First of all I was not saying the moon has nothing to do with fishing at all it has a lot to do with it . But you have to factor in a lot more then just that . And I was born and raised in South Florida lived in Islamorada for 15 years . So I have some knowledge of the keys to . You missed my point just like I figured you would . I think we can all agree on this site it takes a lot of time and effort to figure this out . But to tell someone to fish only on a full or new moon 3 days before or after with out factoring in other conditions wouldn’t be beneficial .

Four days before new moon,4 days afterwards. 4 days before full moon, 4 days aftrwards. 16 days a month for the best fishing!!! Hey what do I know.

Edited by Deep Hole

If the mood is covered by cloud - striper fishing

If it's a giant spotlight in the sky then largemouth fishing. Every one of my biggest buckets has been during the two days after a full moon.

Depends who you talk to. Some guys go fishing just to get out of the house and away from the bride.:beatin: :p

I did a regression using moon phase, tide differential, and my fishing logs. While moon phase is correlated with tide differentials, my results were best explained by the tide differential.  The larger the tide change, the better fishing was.

My takeaway?  I fish whenever I can and don't care about the moon phase or tide...I just want to fish.

56 mins ago, PissonDFS said:

But to tell someone to fish only on a full or new moon 3 days before or after with out factoring in other conditions wouldn’t be beneficial .

I think this is directed at me so I’ll just say that I never said  to ONLY fish certain phases of the moon, I’m speaking more to optimal chance of catching large like someone previously stated.  Again, I go back to the moon which controls the tide, which moves the bait, which attracts predators. Add in the other factors that you and others have mentioned and all the better.  

And to Drew’s point, bass feed in both ice and bath water temps. IMO, if anything is manufactured it’s this myth. 

Edited by rbart