Bow390

3 days before or after moons

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

It’s because you have extreme tides and maximum current, both of which can work for or against you depending on your strategy. 

during the early spring it seems as if bait shows up on the full /new moon and the bass or weaks are right with it, good push of fish that move on within the week following.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Currents are better around the moons but I prefer the 3 days before and after the new moon because its dark. That period around the full moon is good also as long as its cloudy.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Yup . Doesn’t guarantee anything ..  but some spots benefit from huge tides and fast water , while others don’t .. personally huge tides normally puts me in the back bays looking for mosquitoe drains and flats 

Wind , water conditions and bait contribute way more then the moon phase . Except for the Canal extreme tides . If you don’t believe me just think about the best days you had fishing in your life . I’m will to bet you had all three I mentioned. Compared to just fishing a new moon or full moon just because it that time of month. 

1 hour ago, PissonDFS said:

Wind , water conditions and bait contribute way more then the moon phase . Except for the Canal extreme tides . If you don’t believe me just think about the best days you had fishing in your life . I’m will to bet you had all three I mentioned. Compared to just fishing a new moon or full moon just because it that time of month. 

What do you think happens when you have extreme tides and currents? Full or new, bait gets pushed around, corralled, flushed from estuaries and coves, etc.  A new moon provides the cover of darkness for ambush predation. Neither of those factors have anything to do with water clarity or wind direction. 

It’s all interconnected, but usually based around the moon phases. One exception being a major front coming through. 

People fish the moons for a reason.

Okay young Buck , I’m not going to argue with you . One day when you have fished enough you will understand what I’m talking about . For instance go book a trip to Alaska on the new moon in July. Or book a trip to Islamorada in July full moon . And don’t take into consideration the 3 factors I mentioned and Lear’s see how you do . 

Please. I lived in the Keys, Big Pine to be exact.  I’d be diving for bugs in July, not targeting migrating tarpon (that aren’t migrating) And this is a striper website, not a Salmon forum. 

Please don’t pretend like you know me. You don’t. 

I don’t pay all that much attention to the moon, I try to get out and fish when I can. 

I do think the moon phase gets more credit/blame than is realistic. If you look at 3 days before/after that accounts for half a month. So, by default the moon may appear to have an impact 50% of the time regardless of the truth. 

People like to manufacture reasons for why things happen. The impact of the moon is one of them. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, Drew C. said:

People like to manufacture reasons for why things happen. The impact of the moon is one of them. 

So you’re saying herring don’t have a pattern that relates to when they first show? You’ve never heard of the sand eel moon? When migrating fish stage in the canal in the Fall?  When they show at the Block? None of that has anything to do with the moon? Patterns that repeat year after year regardless of other factors? 

Edited by rbart

I've heard many old timers ( I'm older that dirt I might add!!) saying the best fishing is 4 days before new moon and four days after new moon and the same with full moons. Combine that with tides and sunrises and sunset and you have what's called the "Solunar Theory" Google it up and you'll see there is also a very sceientific approach to confirm this theory as well. There are a few very good web sites that show and and combine all these factors to show when the best fishing. True or false, I'll leave it up to you to figure out. But good information, I'm sure there are guys here with fishing logs that could make a good points for this either way. I know guys who have their fishing schdules for the year already based on tides and surises. Me thinks a falling tide, two hours before sunrise and two hours afterwards can be very rewarding on those specific days. Whatever you think it won't be long before we can get back out there for some good fishing. Then you have guys like my father, who could catch fish in a mud puddle anywhere anytime. 

Over the years it has worked out paying attention to the positions of the moon(and sun). One of my favorites is quarter moon overhead.