Striper46

Light weight Trolling motor battery

177 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, BillZ said:

I was gonna say, there's better choices, that box is vented with built in cable slots, no water resistant or water proofing seals at all,   it's kind of open to water intrusion..

Go on...:-)

5 mins ago, Striper46 said:

Go on...:-)

Ok, like this,  it's a harbor freight 3800 case,  use a 20% off coupon gets pretty cheap...has an o- ring on the lid,seals nicely, strong handle....water proof wire gland for the plug.

I have another plug  attached to the charger....

20190510_224952.jpg.dc14d29ff32acaa3fd3ad4fe986e6622.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Note the batteries are not waterproof. Intrusion of 3-4 tablespoons of sea water will ruin them (due to way cells are constructed, the -/+ terminals are less than 1mm apart, any salt water will short them). So, seal the seam around the edge when top meets bottom  and other spots you can think of. A tiny can of tenacious paint ;)

Seam is the lowest point (w bat on its side) and also has strong wicking action (it is a 1/2" wide very narrow gap) that will suck water in.

The tell tale sign of trouble is when battery suddenly drops the AH. Happened to 1 of mine. Was perfect 40AH for years, and AOS it dropped to 30AH. I opened it up (a real pita!) and discovered that some water got in and ruined some of the batteries in the bottom pack

I carry 2 of these in center hatch of PA14. They fit perfectly in there. On the bottom of the hull I put a foam mat, so even if a cup or two of water get in and is sloshing around, batts stay elevated about the water. 

I also stick a common cleanup yellow sponge in the hull, in very front of kayak, it absorbs nice amt of water should some get in.

If you take your time, you can score these on ebay for $100 or less, delivered. So when/if one is ruined, not too big of a deal.

Edited by r111

I wonder how a plastic kayak will hold up if a lithium battery took on water?

8 hours ago, BillZ said:

Ok, like this,  it's a harbor freight 3800 case,  use a 20% off coupon gets pretty cheap...has an o- ring on the lid,seals nicely, strong handle....water proof wire gland for the plug.

I have another plug  attached to the charger....

20190510_224952.jpg.dc14d29ff32acaa3fd3ad4fe986e6622.jpg

Nice set up! I have questions lol I guess these batteries don’t need ventilation? What gauge wire you running there? I assume these are parallel? That one quick connect charges n both batteries and powers your motors? What motor do you use?Thx!

Edited by Striper46

48 mins ago, r111 said:

Note the batteries are not waterproof. Intrusion of 3-4 tablespoons of sea water will ruin them (due to way cells are constructed, the -/+ terminals are less than 1mm apart, any salt water will short them). So, seal the seam around the edge when top meets bottom  and other spots you can think of. A tiny can of tenacious paint ;)

Seam is the lowest point and also has strong wicking action that will suck water in.

I carry 2 of these in center hatch of PA14. They will perfectly in there. On the bottom of the hull I put a foam mat, so even a cup or two of water get in and is sloshing around, batts stay elevated about the water. 

I also stick a common cleanup yellow sponge in the very front of kayak, it absorbs nice amt of water should some get in.

If you take your time, you can score these on ebay for $100 or less, delivered. So when/if one is ruined, not too big of a deal

Thx hope I didn’t ruin those batteries already, they have just been sitting on the back of my kayak completely exposed lol

5 hours ago, Striper46 said:

Nice set up! I have questions lol I guess these batteries don’t need ventilation? What gauge wire you running there? I assume these are parallel? That one quick connect charges n both batteries and powers your motors? What motor do you use?Thx!

Parallel Linked with 10 awg....minkotta connector also 10 awg....

Motor's a minkotta Enduramax 40# .... yes,  it's a fresh water motor, works fine for 5 yrs now, got it so cheap i could care less what happens to it..... time will tell if it'll last..

30# thrust is more than enough for just about everything, got my 40#  practically for free, but if i had to buy @  full price,  I'd get a 30...and yes i charge both batteries thru that plug..

I stripped the head,  threw out the housing and tiller handle,  machined off everything that was not needed and mounted the electronics below deck below a hatch cover, only thing above deck is a little 1" dia control knob mounted above the hatch....

6 hours ago, r111 said:

The tell tale sign of trouble is when battery suddenly drops the AH. Happened to 1 of mine. Was perfect 40AH for years, and AOS it dropped to 30AH.

How did you get the AH readings?

5 hours ago, BillZ said:

Parallel Linked with 10 awg....minkotta connector also 10 awg....

Motor's a minkotta Enduramax 40# .... yes,  it's a fresh water motor, works fine for 5 yrs now, got it so cheap i could care less what happens to it..... time will tell if it'll last..

30# thrust is more than enough for just about everything, got my 40#  practically for free, but if i had to buy @  full price,  I'd get a 30...and yes i charge both batteries thru that plug..

I stripped the head,  threw out the housing and tiller handle,  machined off everything that was not needed and mounted the electronics below deck below a hatch cover, only thing above deck is a little 1" dia control knob mounted above the hatch....

Great info here thx bud. Def gonna do that battery box and put in my front hatch(think it’ll fit). You happen to have the info on that piece you used to seal the wires leaving the box? Thx!

15 mins ago, Striper46 said:

You happen to have the info on that piece you used to seal the wires leaving the box? Thx!

Mcmaster carr p/n 7807k33 multi wire cord grip .....just over 4 bucks per, that cord grip will work on wire between .160 - .200 dia

Plenty of goodies@ McMaster.... this is a good time to get some other things you may need & make your shipping worth while.. 

7 mins ago, BillZ said:

Mcmaster carr p/n 7807k33 multi wire cord grip .....just over 4 bucks per, that cord grip will work on wire between .160 - .200 dia

Plenty of goodies@ McMaster.... this is a good time to get some other things you may need & make your shipping worth while.. 

my addiction... love McMaster

44 mins ago, BillZ said:

Thx! One more thing; are your charger wires the same as the 10 gauge quick connect that’s coming out of your box? My charger has the same quick connect but the wire looks pretty light maybe 16

51 mins ago, Striper46 said:

Thx! One more thing; are your charger wires the same as the 10 gauge quick connect that’s coming out of your box? My charger has the same quick connect but the wire looks pretty light maybe 16

The charger is charging @ low amps, doesn't have to handle high amperage draw like a motor..... your good...

To measure both consumption and charging AH, lookup "RC power meter" on am-zn

Extremely accurate  - read my other posts for important details

On 5/12/2019 at 6:28 AM, r111 said:

To measure both consumption and charging AH, lookup "RC power meter" on am-zn

Extremely accurate  - read my other posts for important details

this one? which other post?

915n85mrnyL._SX679_.jpg

Edited by Striper46