Striper46

Light weight Trolling motor battery

203 posts in this topic

Got my Attwood large battery box today, as well as 14.6 volt 4ah charger. The box should fit two Valence batteries snugly.

Still waiting on the second battery; I plan to do parallel wiring to achieve 80ah. Still waiting on the trolling motor.

asdasd.PNG

I use 12g marine (tinned) wire. 

Weird things happen to non-tinned copper wire in salt env - they kind of rot away. You'd start with 14g and few months later you're down to 20g and so on - limiting amt of power you deliver to the motor

And it happens to wire INSIDE of perfectly-fine-looking insulation

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, r111 said:

I use 12g marine (tinned) wire. 

Weird things happen to non-tinned copper wire in salt env - they kind of rot away. You'd start with 14g and few months later you're down to 20g and so on - limiting amt of power you deliver to the motor

And it happens to wire INSIDE of perfectly-fine-looking insulation

ok thanks and these can sit on deck and get wet? I want to run my battery wires from in my front hatch(hobie outback) through the hull and out the fish finder wire seals on the rails, and put a quick connection to hook up the motor in the mirage drive. I don't like the batteries behind me or completely exposed to getting slashed and they take up valuable room on the back.

Also, you mentioned you're running 12rt batteries in parallel, 2 questions on that; 1. can you charge both batteries through one set of terminals or do you have to charge them separately? 2. for the wiring do you use the same gauge as the run to the motor or do you up the gauge?

One more thing with those batteries; can you cut those wire on the batteries? If so, do you happen to know the safe way to do so?

Thank you!!

Edited by Striper46

8 hours ago, zsnes said:

Got my Attwood large battery box today, as well as 14.6 volt 4ah charger. The box should fit two Valence batteries snugly.

Still waiting on the second battery; I plan to do parallel wiring to achieve 80ah. Still waiting on the trolling motor.

asdasd.PNG

let me know if they actually fix, and post pic if not to much trouble. thx

19 hours ago, Striper46 said:

These connectors are good with 14 gauge wire? Thx

That wire's too light for powering a motor...... bump it up to 10 gage....

9 mins ago, BillZ said:

That wire's too light for powering a motor...... bump it up to 10 gage....

its a watersnake 24lb, thats the stock wire gauge

7 hours ago, Striper46 said:

Also, you mentioned you're running 12rt batteries in parallel, 2 questions on that; 1. can you charge both batteries through one set of terminals or do you have to charge them separately? 2. for the wiring do you use the same gauge as the run to the motor or do you up the gauge?

One more thing with those batteries; can you cut those wire on the batteries? If so, do you happen to know the safe way to do so?

Umm I'm still learning as I go and I'm no expert but... it seems like other people have no issues charging it while its parallel wired. Maybe one of the vets can chime in. I'm going with 2 AWG wire for battery - battery connections.

In that Atwood box the batteries should fit snugly lengthwise. There is a plastic bump in the middle of the box, and the existing battery isn't sitting on it. There is some room depth-wise to stash tools or those special Valence cables. I read somewhere that the cables are hot and you risk causing a short if you cut them.

6 mins ago, zsnes said:

I read somewhere that the cables are hot and you risk causing a short if you cut them.

R111 figured out how to do it, he did a step x step description..... its in the archives, ya gotta look it up..

Regards...

3 hours ago, Striper46 said:

its a watersnake 24lb, thats the stock wire gauge

Wow,  that sounds surprisingly thin for a motor :shrug:

Be careful about how long that wire is if you're extending it,   there's a formula that gives max feet per awg size based on amps  ....

44 mins ago, BillZ said:

Wow,  that sounds surprisingly thin for a motor :shrug:

Be careful about how long that wire is if you're extending it,   there's a formula that gives max feet per awg size based on amps  ....

Oh geez!! Thx for the heads up cause I am extending and adding 2 quick connects in the line. My over all length will be about 10 feet. Hopefully r111 can chime on this too since he seems like the guru lol

21 hours ago, zsnes said:

asdasd.PNG

Curious;

Is that box going behind your seat in your tank well?

58 mins ago, BillZ said:

Curious;

Is that box going behind your seat in your tank well?

Please don't kill me when I tell you this....... I don't have a kayak.

I'm using an inflatable Intex Mariner and the box will sit in front of the motor.

Still working on some mods for it like the floor, benches.

Second battery came today! Fits great.

Capture.PNG

Posted (edited) · Report post

37 mins ago, zsnes said:

Please don't kill me when I tell you this....... I don't have a kayak.

I'm using an inflatable Intex Mariner and the box will sit in front of the motor.

Still working on some mods for it like the floor, benches.

Second battery came today! Fits great.

I was gonna say, there's better choices, that box is vented with built in cable slots, no water resistant or water proofing seals at all,   it's kind of open to water intrusion..

Edited by BillZ
Misspelled open