Striper46

Light weight Trolling motor battery

207 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, BillZ said:

They also have another smaller box, look up "Tactical Ammo/Utility Box"

I have the flambeau version of that box for plano boxes but added an s.a.e receptacle to it for a single battery....not as rugged as the apache case but it has an o-ring on the lid

It works for splashes but its not submersible like the 3800 case, if your gonna use it below deck it could be what your looking for....

it wont fit in the "ammo" type boxes, they taper towards the bottom

ok, someone show me what type of connection you're using for the apache box to the valence.  i have a list of things i need to get from harborfreight this weekend.  also, for ANYONE who shops @ HF bookmark hfqpdb.com into your phone.  you'll never need to clip their coupons again

2 hours ago, gobigblue said:

ok, someone show me what type of connection you're using for the apache box to the valence.  i have a list of things i need to get from harborfreight this weekend.  also, for ANYONE who shops @ HF bookmark hfqpdb.com into your phone.  you'll never need to clip their coupons again

just go back in this thread.....everything is there.

what I used:

3800 Apache box

2 valence U1-12Rt Batteries

mulitple cord grips from McMasters item#7807k33

Minnkota 10 Gauge quick connectors

10 Gauge wire

Ring heat shrink wire connectors 10 gauge

40a inline circuit breaker switch

Edited by Striper46

6 hours ago, gobigblue said:

5 hours ago, Striper46 said:

just go back in this thread.....everything is there.

what I used:

3800 Apache box

2 valence U1-12Rt Batteries

mulitple cord grips from McMasters item#7807k33

Minnkota 10 Gauge quick connectors

10 Gauge wire

Ring heat shrink wire connectors 10 gauge

40a inline circuit breaker switch

What he ^^^ said. I cut a strip of scrap board to take up the space of the batts in the case (keeps them from moving around) It also makes a great place to screw down a circuit breaker. 

When you wire the batts together, you want to keep the system balanced for equal draw from both batts, and equal charge to both batts. Otherwise when one BMS shuts down at high/low limits, both batts shut down. Take positive off of one batt and negative off of the other. Connect ONE set of the 5 pin communication leads 

20190613_152644.jpg

2 Battery-12V Bank - Copy.jpg

6 hours ago, gobigblue said:

I stand by this box's size, been using it for several yrs now..... originally for plano storage, it serves a dual purpose nowadays for those quick 1 battery  freshwater trips where the dual batts. aren't needed....

Fits Group U1 size batteries all day long.... 

Regards ......

5d828b56eb8fb_tacbox.JPG.848358b9f631c8b82ad9855d23e78511.JPG

20190918_145145.jpg.7c3c647d321b4bd5770ece89a3edcfd6.jpg

20190918_144559.jpg.debb4a6cf4192bf7d57d52f1b3d9a852.jpg

With regards to breaker location;

Consider where the breaker is located & if you can reset it from the cockpit, on the water....

Its probably not the best idea to attempt opening a watertight box with lithium batteries inside  to reset your breaker anywhere near water nevertheless while sitting in the cockpit out on the water....

I have a different set up than you guys .... I can open the hatch  between my thighs to get to the  breaker & power meter with no chance of flooding my battery box.......

breaker is approx 26" away from the battery.. 

Just a thought.......

5d8291c0378bc_20190323_155509(1).jpg.0cca58f7bf907b87e681fdf0533c25ff.jpg

3 hours ago, BillZ said:

I stand by this box's size, been using it for several yrs now..... originally for plano storage, it serves a dual purpose nowadays for those quick 1 battery  freshwater trips where the dual batts. aren't needed....

Fits Group U1 size batteries all day long.... 

Regards ......

5d828b56eb8fb_tacbox.JPG.848358b9f631c8b82ad9855d23e78511.JPG

20190918_145145.jpg.7c3c647d321b4bd5770ece89a3edcfd6.jpg

20190918_144559.jpg.debb4a6cf4192bf7d57d52f1b3d9a852.jpg

Sounded like you were talking about the harborfreight ammo box, which is much smaller than that

On 9/17/2019 at 7:44 AM, Striper46 said:

does the smaller HF Apache case fit 1 battery? I actually been thinking about building a single bat case 

With regards to building the 2nd (smaller)  case;

If you wanted to cut some weight & run on 1 battery only you could just pull 1 out of the 3800 case & use it like that, saves 14# without doing anything...you still gotta pull it out to use in case #2 anyway...

That 2800 case's listed shipping weight is only about 2 lbs less than the 3800 case so in the end the 2800 case only saves 2 lbs over the 3800..

Best.....

I just bought the 2800 case for a single Valence. I have been using the double batt 3800 in my tankwell. I want to move the batt(s) to my haul to free up some tankwell space. The 3800 won't fit into my biggest hatch. 

my ocd is probably being triggered on this project, but is there a reason you guys are using those pg glands with the sae connections and not like a regular recessed one that sits mostly flush to the outside like these:

ecdececececec.JPG

3 hours ago, gobigblue said:

my ocd is probably being triggered on this project, but is there a reason you guys are using those pg glands with the sae connections and not like a regular recessed one that sits mostly flush to the outside like these:

OCD? .... hardly Thoughts & ideas, yes :th:

That plug would work fine if it worked within your application specifics..

Ill only speak from my perspective;

I'm the one who decided to use this connection type but it was for my particular application & where i wanted my plug to exit the box, the other guys built with the plug coming out of the top,  I have mine coming out of the side to avoid reels, to keep everything neat & tidy and I really didn’t want visible wires out all over the place so top mounting for me was out…

loading & unloading is a breeze, I tilt the case up & plug / unplug…once the box is seated in the tank well,wires are tucked away out of sight.

I believe the other guys had the thought of water line issues & having the plug near water once the tank well took on some h20 so they mounted on top, i have not once had water issues with the side mount

tw1.jpg.51ba0cf89bda0d50cc2952cbb4e91250.jpg

5d8bdca44fc1f_tw2.jpg.fa6f0863252b2be1aba868ec0a6c57db.jpg

I originally thought about top mounting the receptacle with that type of connection but had a few issues with it, first was the box is ribbed, most of those plugs have a decent sized foot print so you'd have to either trim the plug base to fit between the ribs or try to remove a rib from the top of the box or it won’t seal ….. another thing is the below the cover real estate, the plug needs to come out at a pretty specific area or it’ll have a conflict with the batteries when closing the lid, you cant mount that plug too close to the rounded edge either…you could mount it on the side of the box which is not ribbed but for me, my male plug  wouldn’t work there, I needed it to come out of the side of the box at a 90 deg angle…. it might work for you though, nothing wrong with that idea IMO.

Regards….

3 hours ago, gobigblue said:

ecdececececec.JPG

Interesting but I’d say water will pool in that for sure

5 hours ago, gobigblue said:

ecdececececec.JPG

I never liked those little screws. They pull out of plastic easily, and can poke things you don't want poked.  If you can get to the back side of where you want to install it, this connector has 1" npt nut that holds it in place. 

Annotation 2019-09-25 180410.jpg