Striper46

Light weight Trolling motor battery

173 posts in this topic

What’s a good light/compact 80/100amp for trolling motor on a kayak? Not looking to send a $1000 but I would spend a couple hundred, I know I’m not gonna get a super light battery for that price but something in the 30ish lb range would good. Thx!

Check eBay for the valence 12rt used battery has been the recommendation of late. I picked up two for $200 not too long ago. Gives me 80ah.  Sometimes I take just one.

I’m not sure how accurate the 40ah is. I can almost get more runtime out of a gel wheel chair battery. But it will be LOW, not sure how long it would last at that deep discharge. The lithium circuitry just turns it off.  And both Valence weigh less than a single 25ah gel.

make sure and check the max continuous discharged rate. Some of the cheaper lithium batteries have less than half the continuous amps of the best batteries.

the lithium iron and lithium ti are both supposed to be safer batteries technologies but with lower stored energy. It all gets a little complicated for my old country brain.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, G8trwood said:

Check eBay for the valence 12rt used battery has been the recommendation of late. I picked up two for $200 not too long ago. Gives me 80ah.  Sometimes I take just one.

I’m not sure how accurate the 40ah is. I can almost get more runtime out of a gel wheel chair battery. But it will be LOW, not sure how long it would last at that deep discharge. The lithium circuitry just turns it off.  And both Valence weigh less than a single 25ah gel.

make sure and check the max continuous discharged rate. Some of the cheaper lithium batteries have less than half the continuous amps of the best batteries.

the lithium iron and lithium ti are both supposed to be safer batteries technologies but with lower stored energy. It all gets a little complicated for my old country brain.  Good luck!

Great info there thx! Was looking for one battery so I don’t have to mess with swapping they mid trip

Posted (edited) · Report post

Read my seminal treatises on LiFePo4

U1-12RT is what you want.  $130-ish (delivered) going price ATM.

After you get it, coat the exterior w/ some water sealant along the seams. 

Edited by r111

Hi new to forums and getting the stuff for my first boat ever :).

After looking through tons different forums for batteries it seems like these Valence batteries are the best bang for your buck. I'm about to buy one (or two) from eBay. A couple of questions:

• What kind of connectors/screws to connect to the Valence battery terminals?
  • What is a recommended charger to use?
  • What trolling motor would you recommend because its a Lithium-style battery? There are a lot of used MinnKotas on Craigslist in my area.

If anyone can post pictures of their setup that would be awesome. Thanks!

RC power connector XT60 . 10 pairs for $7 on amzn. These carry insane amt of current, are gold plated so they dont corrode

For charger, anything that floats at ~14V.  It is the battery that has the charging "brains"

Motors dont care what powers them ('cept starter motors that could require 400  cranking amps to turn a big engine on a cold day, that' s where lead still has advantage)

Oh, the battery I ordered doesn't have any connectors for XT60. It's just a recessed screw post with M6 x 1.0 label. I guess that's the screw type so I'll check that out.

Right now I'm looking to order this Newport Vessels NV-series motor --- either the 55lb or 62lb thrust version. I'm planning to take this out in the Puget Sound (close to the shore!) and do some crabbing.

For the charger I don't really know what's a good one to get. A recommendation would be help. So far I've settled on the "SUAOKI Car Battery Charger 4amp 6/12v..."

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here - thanks

5 hours ago, zsnes said:

Oh, the battery I ordered doesn't have any connectors for XT60. It's just a recessed screw post with M6 x 1.0 label. I guess that's the screw type so I'll check that out.

Right now I'm looking to order this Newport Vessels NV-series motor --- either the 55lb or 62lb thrust version.

If i may;

Connectors 

You have to make up power cables from the battery, XT60 connectors go on the ends of the power leads... motor cable gets rigged with one XT60 .... the battery cable with the other..

Motor

the U1-12rt battery you have has a max current output of 30 amps with an 80 amp 30 sec window

A 55 or 60 something # thrust motor is exceeding that amperage draw value when up at high speed so the battery will probably shut down (or maybe not) i'm interested to know what  the real top end draw really is, i know its not just 30A....

I have 2 U1-12rt's rigged in parallel & run a 40# thrust motor with no problems..... if you wind up getting this bigger # thrust motor report back on if it works or not.....

Thanks BillZ, I completely forgot about the max current output! The Valence U1-12RT max current does seem a bit underrated.

Seeing how the 40lbs thrust works for you I'll take that as a recommendation and buy a Newport Vessels NV series 40lbs thrust motor.

Besides it's better to play it safe instead of having the battery die on me while in saltwater. I just tested my inflatable and rowing really is a struggle :D.

Hopefully it works good enough for the Puget Sound.

2 hours ago, Striper46 said:

I already bought one off eBay. Thanks for the offer buddy.

Edited by TimS
quote edited

Anything more than 30# thrust, for a kayak, is a costly, heavy, giant overkill.

You aint gonna get her outta hole. She aint gonna plane. 

Instead, for 2x in power consumption, you might gain .4MPH (point four), may be.

RECONSIDER

Just get a no maint sealed lead group 24 from West Marine. (79 amps) They usually go on sale this time of year for $150.....I ran a 55lb motor guide brut off of 1 for a few years. Lasts all day as long as your not full throttle constantly.

Good lithium batteries are upwards of 500 bucks. Cheap lithium batteries are just dangerous. Imagine one of those bombs going off in your yak. 

Edited by aae0130

U1-12RT is a LiFePo4. Very different, stable chemistry - these do NOT catch fire, dont have thermal runaway issues either.

New, these are prolly $1K, reason we get them so cheap is that regulation likely requires 3Y replacement cycle for medical batteries. At which point ECycle Inc swoops in, takes them away for free (or, more likely, is PAID to do so) and smarter of those then ebay these

And lastly that lead battery is about 60lb (!) .

2 of U1-12s ==  honest  80AH, at 30lb combined weight.

Edited by r111

On 5/2/2019 at 8:36 AM, r111 said:

RC power connector XT60 . 10 pairs for $7 on amzn. These carry insane amt of current, are gold plated so they dont corrode

For charger, anything that floats at ~14V.  It is the battery that has the charging "brains"

Motors dont care what powers them ('cept starter motors that could require 400  cranking amps to turn a big engine on a cold day, that' s where lead still has advantage)

These connectors are good with 14 gauge wire? Thx