Striper46

Light weight Trolling motor battery

4 posts in this topic

What’s a good light/compact 80/100amp for trolling motor on a kayak? Not looking to send a $1000 but I would spend a couple hundred, I know I’m not gonna get a super light battery for that price but something in the 30ish lb range would good. Thx!

Check eBay for the valence 12rt used battery has been the recommendation of late. I picked up two for $200 not too long ago. Gives me 80ah.  Sometimes I take just one.

I’m not sure how accurate the 40ah is. I can almost get more runtime out of a gel wheel chair battery. But it will be LOW, not sure how long it would last at that deep discharge. The lithium circuitry just turns it off.  And both Valence weigh less than a single 25ah gel.

make sure and check the max continuous discharged rate. Some of the cheaper lithium batteries have less than half the continuous amps of the best batteries.

the lithium iron and lithium ti are both supposed to be safer batteries technologies but with lower stored energy. It all gets a little complicated for my old country brain.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, G8trwood said:

Check eBay for the valence 12rt used battery has been the recommendation of late. I picked up two for $200 not too long ago. Gives me 80ah.  Sometimes I take just one.

I’m not sure how accurate the 40ah is. I can almost get more runtime out of a gel wheel chair battery. But it will be LOW, not sure how long it would last at that deep discharge. The lithium circuitry just turns it off.  And both Valence weigh less than a single 25ah gel.

make sure and check the max continuous discharged rate. Some of the cheaper lithium batteries have less than half the continuous amps of the best batteries.

the lithium iron and lithium ti are both supposed to be safer batteries technologies but with lower stored energy. It all gets a little complicated for my old country brain.  Good luck!

Great info there thx! Was looking for one battery so I don’t have to mess with swapping they mid trip

Posted (edited) · Report post

Read my seminal treatises on LiFePo4

U1-12RT is what you want.  $130-ish (delivered) going price ATM.

After you get it, coat the exterior w/ some water sealant along the seams. 

Edited by r111