yemista

Wolffish

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Any one know why it is illegal to keep these?

Just out of curiosity, for those who tried it before it came illegal to possess(whenever that was), how did it taste?

Not that I ever plan to eat one myself.

They live a very long lonely life, think they occupy a cavern and feed on shellfish in their little area. When they got overfished it will take a very long time for them to grow into breeding adults. I don't know what % the population is at but I suspect there won't be a grand recovery for them.

i remember getting a 25 pound abouts fish that flailed on the deck until latching into the anchor chain. Didn't let go until it was dispatched. Firm whitefish, great for chowder if I recall correctly 

They are severely depleted. It's going to take a while to bring them back. As stated above they are generally loners living in little caves and eating whatever comes their way, except when it come breeding time. Then they abandon their caves and form large breeding aggregations, which is when they are vulnerable to the nets. They have a very firm white flesh, similar to a goosefish. Taste a lot like lobster. A few more years and we might be able to keep one again. 

51 mins ago, Ditchbag said:

are you talkin about these ? I don't know anything about them other than I caught one while cod fishing on a charter.

20160830_130556.jpg

That looks like it, but I thought they had a lot of teeth?

1 hour ago, yemista said:

That looks like it, but I thought they had a lot of teeth?

That looks like a particularly untoothy one. At best they only have maybe a dozen teeth and they're not even spaced. They break them off on some of the shellfish they eat.

Don't get to close to those teeth ?  when they bite , they don't let go.  Was on a head boat one  time . The mate put a stick in his mouth. wouldn't let go of it? 

I had one once, it was good meat, but I didn't get the lobster notes people talk about.

I used to do the deep sea party boats several times a year, and would see maybe one wolfie out of four trips. Perhaps once I saw more than one on the boat. I always thought they were pretty rare, and assumed it was an oversight that they were ever allowed to be taken. Not surprised or upset that they were banned.

6 hours ago, Ditchbag said:

are you talkin about these ? I don't know anything about them other than I caught one while cod fishing on a charter.

20160830_130556.jpg

Yeah that one went back in the water

1 min ago, Ditchbag said:

Yeah that one went back in the water

It was probably 26 27 in long it wouldn't stay straight but it was snapping at us like a snapping turtle

Unhooking and releasing one these days can be a real dangerous chore if you get one on a treble rigged diamond jig.