Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt.Castafly

Canal Street Bait Shop

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

In the old days, Canal Street Bait Shop was the giant, the beast back than for opening day of trout.

He'd be open 24 hrs. the night before.

Sold more fishing license the night before than anyone especially at his first location at Canal and Smith Street.

His building was directly over the river. You could look down and see moving water through some of the floor boards.

The people you would run into. Who's Who!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

In the old days, Canal Street Bait Shop was the giant, the beast back than for opening day of trout.

He'd be open 24 hrs. the night before.

Sold more fishing license the night before than anyone especially at his first location at Canal and Smith Street.

His building was directly over the river. You could look down and see moving water through some of the floor boards.

The people you would run into. Who's Who!

 

...and then there was Quaker Lane, when it was in Warwick, Rt 2/Bald Hill Rd, where Haxton's Liquor Store is now; also back then, Erickson Bros in Apponaug...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, makaha said:

...and then there was Quaker Lane, when it was in Warwick, Rt 2/Bald Hill Rd, where Haxton's Liquor Store is now; also back then, Erickson Bros in Apponaug...

The first discount store to buy fishing and hunting stuff was Elmwood Bait Shop, more commonly known as Sam's to the locals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

The first discount store to buy fishing and hunting stuff was Elmwood Bait Shop, more commonly known as Sam's to the locals.

wow, almost completely forgot about them....they were great; they also supplied all the school teams in the area with sports gear; one my gaffs may be from one of their hockey sticks way back when

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

i used to ride my bike to canal bait.......there was a bait store near the old red bridge on the prov side owned by one of the betincourts if i remember right i used to get mummies there

Edited by stripercrazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stripercrazy said:

i used to ride my bike to canal bait.......there was a bait store near the old red bridge on the prov side owned by one of the betincourts if i remember right i used to get mummies there

Frankie Bettencourt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 6:49 AM, makaha said:

Sold more fishing license the night before than anyone especially at his first location at Canal and Smith Street.

His building was directly over the river. You could look down and see moving water through some of the floor boards.

Damn I remember that. Would go there with my dad to get bait and tackle. 

Whew, that's  a lotta water under the bridge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bettencourts supplied most of the state with opening day bait .

 

I think Canal st was the only other Guy that caught his own bait

 

Erickson,s was way after these guys

  The Original Ray from rays bait was a oisser of a old timer ,,,,,,1st In Pawtuxet cove & then in Apponaug  & sold it to Kenny .

 

there was a guy name Brighton  / that trapped eels in the warren & Barrington  that had a peg leg .he kept the bait eels in different sizes ,

 while the Apponaug/ EG guys  threw them back  for a rainy day …… or you  could pull old man earl Bennetts  pots .take the smalls & leave the large . Just drop him a case of Gansett .

Life on the water was great back then

 

 

PS         everytime Frakie sold $2.00 worth he would flip his 5 minute sign & run over to the east side diner & place a bet >,.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.