Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt.Castafly

Canal Street Bait Shop

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

In the old days, Canal Street Bait Shop was the giant, the beast back than for opening day of trout.

He'd be open 24 hrs. the night before.

Sold more fishing license the night before than anyone especially at his first location at Canal and Smith Street.

His building was directly over the river. You could look down and see moving water through some of the floor boards.

The people you would run into. Who's Who!

8 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

In the old days, Canal Street Bait Shop was the giant, the beast back than for opening day of trout.

He'd be open 24 hrs. the night before.

Sold more fishing license the night before than anyone especially at his first location at Canal and Smith Street.

His building was directly over the river. You could look down and see moving water through some of the floor boards.

The people you would run into. Who's Who!

...and then there was Quaker Lane, when it was in Warwick, Rt 2/Bald Hill Rd, where Haxton's Liquor Store is now; also back then, Erickson Bros in Apponaug...

3 hours ago, makaha said:

...and then there was Quaker Lane, when it was in Warwick, Rt 2/Bald Hill Rd, where Haxton's Liquor Store is now; also back then, Erickson Bros in Apponaug...

The first discount store to buy fishing and hunting stuff was Elmwood Bait Shop, more commonly known as Sam's to the locals.

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

The first discount store to buy fishing and hunting stuff was Elmwood Bait Shop, more commonly known as Sam's to the locals.

wow, almost completely forgot about them....they were great; they also supplied all the school teams in the area with sports gear; one my gaffs may be from one of their hockey sticks way back when

Posted (edited) · Report post

i used to ride my bike to canal bait.......there was a bait store near the old red bridge on the prov side owned by one of the betincourts if i remember right i used to get mummies there

Edited by stripercrazy

4 hours ago, stripercrazy said:

i used to ride my bike to canal bait.......there was a bait store near the old red bridge on the prov side owned by one of the betincourts if i remember right i used to get mummies there

Frankie Bettencourt. 

On 4/7/2019 at 6:49 AM, makaha said:

Damn I remember that. Would go there with my dad to get bait and tackle. 

Whew, that's  a lotta water under the bridge!

The Bettencourts supplied most of the state with opening day bait .

I think Canal st was the only other Guy that caught his own bait

Erickson,s was way after these guys

The Original Ray from rays bait was a oisser of a old timer ,,,,,,1st In Pawtuxet cove & then in Apponaug  & sold it to Kenny .

there was a guy name Brighton  / that trapped eels in the warren & Barrington  that had a peg leg .he kept the bait eels in different sizes ,

while the Apponaug/ EG guys  threw them back  for a rainy day …… or you  could pull old man earl Bennetts  pots .take the smalls & leave the large . Just drop him a case of Gansett .

Life on the water was great back then

PS         everytime Frakie sold $2.00 worth he would flip his 5 minute sign & run over to the east side diner & place a bet >,.