Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikez2

Chains, the Rodney Dangerfield of fish

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

A sample of quotes from HD Thoreau regarding pickeral and ice fishing around Concord in the early 1800s. 

"Ah, the pickerel of Walden! when I see them lying on the ice, or in the well which the fisherman cuts in the ice, making a little hole to admit the water, I am always surprised by their rare beauty, as if they were fabulous fishes, they are so foreign to the streets, even to the woods, foreign as Arabia to our Concord life."

"Early in the morning, while all things are crisp with frost, men come with fishing-reels and slender lunch, and let down their fine lines through the snowy field to take pickerel and perch; wild men, who instinctively follow other fashions and trust other authorities than their townsmen"

"Here is one fishing for pickerel with grown perch for bait. You look into his pail with wonder as into a summer pond, as if he kept summer locked up at home, or knew where she had retreated. How, pray, did he get these in midwinter? Oh, he got worms out of rotten logs since the ground froze, and so he caught them." 

The two largest pickerel I have ever caught were while pike fishing through the ice with very large dead baits. The first one was 5 and change the second on the boga was 6 lbs even. Both fish 5-6 years ago. Still pike fish often and haven’t gotten picks that big since.

8DF828B6-3EFC-4A7D-8D02-4B0025E87553.png

34A22E82-28FD-4B20-9D13-72BA025F5F1D.png

I also cooked pickerel one time; and it was surprisingly good. It was a lot of work that I have not felt like doing since. Fileted; ground up; rolled into balls then battered and deep fried. 

5B8AB1A1-9823-48E0-9A4D-CA8A27F3693D.png

5 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

The two largest pickerel I have ever caught were while pike fishing through the ice with very large dead baits. The first one was 5 and change the second on the boga was 6 lbs even. Both fish 5-6 years ago. Still pike fish often and haven’t gotten picks that big since.

8DF828B6-3EFC-4A7D-8D02-4B0025E87553.png

34A22E82-28FD-4B20-9D13-72BA025F5F1D.png

Holy sh**t those are monster picks. I thought I’ve caught big ones in the past but 4 pounders are nothing like that.