Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikez2

Chains, the Rodney Dangerfield of fish

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Everyone loves to hate on poor pickeral. 

This is the original gamefish of the Massachusetts ponds and lakes. 

Thoreau describes fishing for pickeral in the 1840s in my area with cane poles and minnows, or through the ice. 

When I was a fish obsessed kid of 12, a big ole chain like this one would have been a trophy.

My boy seems to get a couple every spring.

He got him on topwater.

20190406_154323.jpg

Edited by mikez2

Nasty slime darts make catch and release so difficult. Remember introducing my girlfriend to fishing, inline spinner down the hatch, painfully slow release, then a large mouth whalloped the little pik at her feet. I do appreciate their tanacity and ability to withstand the garbage winters we have here, they have rescued a few slow days. 

I never understood the hate for them back in college in Maine in the fall we would rip simple rigs of pickerel belly thru the lily pads and the action was explosive, they are also top notch table fare if you cross hatch the fillets and soak them in milk to dissolve the bones, very good mild flavor 

10 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Everyone loves to hate on poor pickeral. 

This is the original gamefish of the Massachusetts ponds and lakes. 

Thoreau describes fishing for pickeral in the 1840s in my area with cane poles and minnows, or through the ice. 

When I was a fish obsessed kid of 12, a big ole chain like this one would have been a trophy.

My boy seems to get a couple every spring.

He got him on topwater.

20190406_154323.jpg

Nice job:th:

My grandmother would poach it, and pick off all the meat. From there, she made it into fish cakes.

Where I grew up in central Ma, there were two lakes right across the road.  Both were highly regarded pickerel ponds. I spent countless hours on the ice fishing for those droopsnoots.

Large pickerel are fun to catch, theres no two ways about it. Caught my first two this year about 3 hours ago. 

Fished pork rind frogs for years for pickerel. They were so aggressive on that rind, and fun.

20 hours ago, Two Rock said:

I never understood the hate for them back in college in Maine in the fall we would rip simple rigs of pickerel belly thru the lily pads and the action was explosive, they are also top notch table fare if you cross hatch the fillets and soak them in milk to dissolve the bones, very good mild flavor 

i used to use perch bellies...lucky to cast it 20 feet, but geesh did it work well...

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

My grandmother would poach it, and pick off all the meat. From there, she made it into fish cakes.

Where I grew up in central Ma, there were two lakes right across the road.  Both were highly regarded pickerel ponds. I spent countless hours on the ice fishing for those droopsnoots.

That one pond with the beach doesn't appear to have access but the bigger one accross the way is a pickeral spot for sure. 

What's your biggest largemouth from there? 

I love jigging for them through the ice. A big one will damn near rip the jig rod out off your hands on the strike if you aren’t paying attention. And pickerel fish cakes are really good, I won’t keep one smaller than 3lbs but always feed the Eagles a couple of mediums. 

We used to target big pickerel in the pools off the local streams with feeder goldfish.   They couldn't resist them.  You'd see the pickerel come 50 feet from the weeds and nail the goldfish.

(fishing with goldfish as bait is illegal these days by the way, just sayin)

There was one pond at the back of an abandoned golf course where if you tossed a frog hooked through the back leg into the water, you'd have a pickerel on in seconds.