Followers 0
Mike

NJ Gov signs new striper regulations

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Just posted on the NJFGW site at Press Release

Governor Signs Bill Establishing New Size Limits for Striped Bass

September 29, 2004

Governor Signs Bill Establishing New Size Limits for Striped Bass The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) announces that there are new size limits for striped bass fishing. The new measures bring New Jersey into compliance with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's (ASMFC) plan for striped bass and prevent a ban on striped bass fishing.

The new requirements signed into law by Governor James E. McGreevey, allow anglers to take two fish each day-one measuring 24 inches or greater to less than 28 inches and the other measuring 34 inches or greater.

The regulations governing recreational striped bass fishing in New Jersey are set by state legislation. Previously, under the former recreational striped bass fishing regulations, New Jersey anglers were allowed to keep one fish each day measuring 24 inches or greater to less than 28 inches and a second fish 28 inches or greater.

The new program adjusts the upper size minimum to keep New Jersey's annual striper catch in line with conservation goals set by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, which administers a coast-wide Striped Bass Management Plan.

The new law also allows vessels, licensed to accommodate 15 or more passengers, to obtain a permit to fillet any striped bass harvested on a given trip in accordance with the fillet permit laws established by the Department. There was no provision in the past that allowed party boats to fillet striped bass under a fillet permit.

The new regulations do not change the limit of the Striped Bass Bonus Program, which will remain at one fish at 28 inches or greater. However, no more bonus cards will be issued for the 2004 striped bass season since the bonus program quota will likely be reached with the amount of cards that have already been issued.

There are currently more than 29,000 cards in circulation between individual participants and the party/charter fleet. The remaining quota for the 2004 Bonus Program is approximately 281,000 pounds equating to an estimated 15,000 to 23,000 striped bass 28 inches or greater. During the September to December period in 2003, New Jersey harvested nearly 83,000 striped bass in the 28" to less than 34" range so it is likely many Bonus cards will be filled.

The only means of harvesting a striped bass 28 inches to less than 34 inches (slot fish) is through participation in the Striped Bass Bonus Program.

The 2004 Bonus Program will be suspended if the quota is reached before the end of the season and all participants involved with the program will be notified through normal DEP procedures if that occurs.

Anyone who mailed Striped Bass Bonus Program applications to the Division of Fish and Wildlife and did not receive Bonus cards thus far in 2004, will not receive any this year. Issuance of striped bass bonus cards for 2005 will be evaluated later this year to determine the best program design. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission was formed by fifteen Atlantic coast states (Maine through Florida, including Pennsylvania) in 1942 to assist in managing and conserving coastal fishery resources.

There are currently more than 29,000 cards in circulation between individual participants and the party/charter fleet. The remaining quota for the 2004 Bonus Program is approximately 281,000 pounds equating to an estimated 15,000 to 23,000 striped bass 28 inches or greater. During the September to December period in 2003, New Jersey harvested nearly 83,000 striped bass in the 28" to less than 34" range so it is likely many Bonus cards will be filled.

I was wondering approximately how many bonus cards were still outstanding - 29,000 icon25.gif

TimS

MDC, unless something has changed, the tags are non-transferable - they are numbered and that number is registered to a person...and that's the person that has to be in possession of the fish that tag is used for.

TimS

I've got 2, so that leaves 28,998 available. I never had an intention of using the tags for a 3rd fish and only participated in the program to assist in the sharing/gathering of information about the species. In fact, I only used 1 tag during the entire time I participated, and that was for a gut hooked fish that was caught after my first "harvested" fish.

If I'm reading this iformation correct, tags are still good until the end of the year, or the quote is met, but can only be used for a fish 28" to 34".

If I'm reading this iformation correct, tags are still good until the end of the year, or the quote is met, but can only be used for a fish 28" to 34".

Yes and no. Tags are good until the end of the year - but they can be used on any fish over 28"...it can be your first fish and be 40" long, if you wanna tag it to "help out" with the data collection, go right ahead smile.gif If it's 28.1" long and you already got two fish but feel the need for a third, go right ahead smile.gif

There's no max size for the tagged fish and there's no particular order - you can tag the first fish you keep provided it's over 28"...being over 34" doesn't matter, go ahead and tag it if you want smile.gif

TimS

MDC, unless something has changed, the tags are non-transferable - they are numbered and that number is registered to a person...and that's the person that has to be in possession of the fish that tag is used for.

TimS

Tim,

You just shattered by "bonus tag counterfeiting ring" wink.gif (kidding)

So much for getting the house paid off this year....

Sorry redface.gif Hey, you could probably print up a ton of counterfeit tags and scalp them at any number of elbow to elbow daytime blitzes wink.gif

TimS

Honestly....I could see a scam like that one actually working....

Or at least someone trying it. I wonder how long it will be before someone gives it a try? Or trys to dupe someone on ebay.

Hey...hold on to those tags. Maybe they will be a collectors item some day wink.gif

Hey...hold on to those tags. Maybe they will be a collectors item some day wink.gif

If that's the case, I'm rich! I still got one of the very original metal ones...sure, it's a little rusty, but it's original! cwm12.gif I'm gonna find it and clean it up, maybe see what the knuckleheads on eBay will gimme for it wink.gif

TimS

If that's the case, I'm rich! I still got one of the very original metal ones...sure, it's a little rusty, but it's original! cwm12.gif I'm gonna find it and clean it up, maybe see what the knuckleheads on eBay will gimme for it wink.gif

TimS

And just why did you even get a bonus tag?

cwm13.gif

And just why did you even get a bonus tag?

cwm13.gif

Walt, I've had bonus tags for every year since the program was started, back when it was called the "Trophy Tag" and the fish had to actually be substantial to keep. I may have missed a year or two along the way, not 100% certain.

Why would I have a tag? Cause I've killed lots of fish. I've taken my legal limit probably hundreds of times over the years...at least up until the pseudo slot, never kept one under 28".

I used to keep stripers for tournaments...but that was back when there was 1/50th the number of people fishing and 2 @ 28" was a reasonable harvest. Once the whole world started striped bass fishing and taking 2 @ 28", it because clear very quickly that it was too many fish - so I stopped taking any home. If I can find my tags for this year, I'm gonna "tag" the next two nice bass I catch...and then let them go smile.gif

TimS