Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ged

2019 Hunting

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Saw plenty of birds at Myles Standish when we went to strike out on trout on Sunday.

I can only imagine the hunting pressure that place must get.

Birds gobbling on the roadside can't help.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:21 AM, Karl G said:

ged, wilmington

Ok, about and hour North of me. I don’t know about opportunities near you. 

On 4/10/2019 at 1:20 PM, CcCstriper89 said:

I always try and find birds that cannot be seen from a road; but it doesn't always work.

Those spots are like gold. Had a good one for several years, 3 or 4 seasons ago a group of non-residents found it. After the second time they moved in on a bird I was working and shot it without ever calling I gave up on it. My current spot is about an hour hike in, the first half pretty steeply uphill. The birds around there usually head to the roadside fields eventually, but I often get an hour or two to play with them first. 

i shot a nice tom at october mountain years ago...65 minute hike in the dark, got to the top of the ridge at 6:05am...the bird stopped flopping at 6:25am... 

On 4/10/2019 at 1:26 PM, pogie_boy said:

Saw plenty of birds at Myles Standish when we went to strike out on trout on Sunday.

I can only imagine the hunting pressure that place must get.

Birds gobbling on the roadside can't help.

yes MS is crowded during opening week, but you can still find birds away from the crowds...the problem with hunting MS is sound carries, i've heard birds gobbling from the roosts pre-dawn an easy half mile away...that will attract attention from the road hunters...

I have been saying every year I want to head out towards western MA and give it a shot.Then the season rolls around and I find myself chasing birds a little closer to home. I still have to drive a good half hour to find birds as it is though so I might as well try something new.

I've hunted the great Barrington /sandisfield area off and on for 30+ years... still like hunting the big timber ridges 2 hours from home ... it is also nice to be able to hunt flat open pole lines within 30 minutes of my house...