ged

2019 Hunting

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

I don’t think we have another thread for 2019 so here goes. 

I have several friends that are really into turkey hunting. When I started hunting about 10 years ago I chased them with a bow. I arrowed a few but sort or lost interest. Then I bought a shotgun and chased them again, but only to lose interest again. 

During my time using a SG I went through 3 or 4 different guns and never found my “turkey” gun. Last night I did, I found a Savage 220T bolt action smoothbore. I downsized to 20gauge and added the fastfire reflex sight. 

E3833962-56AB-4D39-A460-B71C2CBE8E13.jpeg

6D1389ED-8B31-44F3-BA49-0DBB57BAD1FD.jpeg

Interesting...I know someone else who shoots a Savage bolt action sg and he loves it too...

I'm still carrying my Benelli Nova 12g and shooting Remington Supreme Turkey 3.5 in copper plated #4s ...anything inside of 45 yards is fair game...I've been eyeballing a Benelli Super Black Eagle for years, just waiting for the extra $1800 to be burning a hole in my pocket...:cool:

my son shoots a Benelli Nova youth model in 20g with a Carlson super turkey choke...this gun is a tack driver at 30 yards, birds don't even flop, they simply stop moving...

37 mins ago, jettyjockey18 said:

Interesting...I know someone else who shoots a Savage bolt action sg and he loves it too...

I'm still carrying my Benelli Nova 12g and shooting Remington Supreme Turkey 3.5 in copper plated #4s ...anything inside of 45 yards is fair game...I've been eyeballing a Benelli Super Black Eagle for years, just waiting for the extra $1800 to be burning a hole in my pocket...:cool:

my son shoots a Benelli Nova youth model in 20g with a Carlson super turkey choke...this gun is a tack driver at 30 yards, birds don't even flop, they simply stop moving...

I had the Supernova. Probably the best pump available. The only thing I didn’t like was the safety was at the front of the trigger, not towards the butt of the gun like other benellis. 

There are more damn turkeys than there are pigeons in my town,

Problem is there is no hunting in my town,bet that changes soon

down the road !

2 hours ago, Jighead75 said:

Love my A5 browning what choke you shooting?

My gun came with a trulock TKY. I got it Friday night, so I haven’t sighted it in yet. 

The savage 220 are fantastic shooting slug guns; I can only imagine they would be a fun turkey gun too. I have a 1980s Remington “Sportsman Auto 12” that was only made for a couple years from what I have been able to find. I got the gun for 100 dollars from a good friend and hunting mentor who has since passed. The gun has not missed a turkeys face yet; knock on wood. 2 3/4 inch 28” fixed modified I believe the barrel is. I have dropped birds from 15 to about 35 yds no problem. 

0131BF51-77A1-45EA-8E42-0B53C90DE645.jpeg

4 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

The savage 220 are fantastic shooting slug guns; I can only imagine they would be a fun turkey gun too. I have a 1980s Remington “Sportsman Auto 12” that was only made for a couple years from what I have been able to find. I got the gun for 100 dollars from a good friend and hunting mentor who has since passed. The gun has not missed a turkeys face yet; knock on wood. 2 3/4 inch 28” fixed modified I believe the barrel is. I have dropped birds from 15 to about 35 yds no problem. 

0131BF51-77A1-45EA-8E42-0B53C90DE645.jpeg

Nice bird.

I hope that when I pass someone is shooting deer and turkeys with my guns. 

Same here. I use it strictly for turkeys these days but that gun has killed many deer; I have only killed one with it though. I rather carry a slug gun; the 220 is on my list of guns to buy. 

I also have been mostly chasing them with the bow for the last few years, but I've mostly been lazily setting up blinds on field edges where I know (or think) they're going to come by, and they usually do.

I am planning to try and get away from the fields and blinds and go back to roosting them etc.., but going back to the SGun to get back in practice, at least for the first bird.

I might want to get a shorter barrel for the old 870 as the 28" field barrel is awkward in brushy quarters sometimes .

New to hunting (just passed the hunter safety course a few weeks ago) and turkey will be my first season.  Using a Mossberg 500 Turkey tactical.  Real excited to get further into hunting, already have a bear hunt planned in Maine this fall.  Going to hunt public land this spring, how crowded does it get for spring turkey season?  Any advice to a new hunter would be greatly appreciated!

3 hours ago, Karl G said:

ged, wilmington

Lots of "landowner permission only" towns out that way. Good luck on your search!

If you see turkeys in fields right next to the road every single day; there is a good chance others do too. I wouldn't count them out; but opening morning in particular; and the earlier saturdays of the season may be crowded in those "hot spots".

I always try and find birds that cannot be seen from a road; but it doesn't always work.