KnewBee

Has anyone experianced this?

20 posts in this topic

I launched this evening and about three hundred yards down the creek, a Goose came at me making all kinds of noise.   I peddled fast and got away from him.   About ten min later, I turned into a side creek and noticed the goose was just off my stern.   He stayed within 15 feet of me for the next two and a half hours.   Calm and quite.  He just hung out.   Didn't seem bothered when I caught a fish and would come along side when I spoke with him, like right along side.   I covered about 2 miles total and he stuck with me all the way until I recovered as he walked around my yak as I loaded up.

Weirdest thing ever.  

Goose n bass.jpg

Goose.jpg

They're paired up and nesting this time of year.  He probably saw you as a threat to his future young and was attempting to distract you.  Regardless, it's interesting he hung around for so long.

Yes, this has happened to me and a buddy with a swan while we were fishing from a canoe. It came flapping straight for us just above the water from over 100 yards away. Then it landed maybe 20 feet away and just circled the canoe for the rest of the outing. I figured we got too close to its nest. 

I’ve volunteered for several years at a university environmental center and have seen that many birds are fiercely territorial. I have witnessed the gamut of behaviors from turkeys, ducks, chickens, pigeons, hawks, owls and falcons. I do get a lot of free eggs :p

The way the OP described the situation, the goose was very docile and almost friendly.  That is not defensive or territorial behavior.  And geese are very capable of being extremely aggressive and territorial.  Sometimes cool events happen when you are really connected to nature.  Take it for what it's worth but something like that would make me feel great.

9 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

The way the OP described the situation, the goose was very docile and almost friendly.  That is not defensive or territorial behavior.  And geese are very capable of being extremely aggressive and territorial.  Sometimes cool events happen when you are really connected to nature.  Take it for what it's worth but something like that would make me feel great.

It was pretty cool.   After a couple hours, I got to thinking he (or she) had lost their mate and was just kind of lonely.   We talked a lot.   This time of year, I only ever see them in pairs and the newborns will be following them around soon. 

I have run across "pairs" of geese that would squawk and yell at me as I pass, but then they go silent and back to whatever they were doing.   Snakes during mating season have chased me away.   Seen Raccoons, River Otters, Deer, Nutella, and even saw a rabbit swimming along the shore line.   Thought it was a big rat, but when he climbed ashore and hopped away, I was dumbfounded.  Haven't seen a jackalope yet...

Ospreys are getting aggressive as they establish their spring nests.  I give them a wide berth and avoid top water lures when they are around!

"we talked a lot..." I love it. Haha.  Very cool.  There's more going on in nature and the world than we are usually aware of.

PS...it's been MANY years since I did acid.

That's funny! Two miles is a long way! I was fishing a very small tidal creek the other day. I pitched my jig up against the bank when I saw some movement on the bank inches away from m bait. I almost hit a goose right in the face. Didn't see her until she moved. She came in the water and chased me out, hissing and following me. She didn't have as much heart as your goose, for she gave up chasing me after only about 20 feet. lol!

Posted (edited) · Report post

You were probably near a nest.  I've had them come right up to me flapping their wings.  Thought one was coming into the kayak.

Edited by kayak99