jmlandru

Backstrap?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's a backstrap. Thaw in fridge overnight.   Salt the hell out of it. Re-wrap in saran and stash in fridge for 12 hours. Get a black iron skillet rocket hot add canola. 1.5 to 2 minute per side.   Rest 10 min.  Fresh ground pepper.  Slice thin.  Sauteed onions and shrooms if you want on the side.

Edited by JaseB

It's a bigen though.   Ask if from a big buck.  If so, put it in the crockpot with 18 onions, carrots, taters, celery and a box of beef stock, bay leaves, parsley and thyme.

2 mins ago, JaseB said:

It's a bigen though.   Ask if from a big buck.  If so, put it in the crockpot with 18 onions, carrots, taters, celery and a box of beef stock, bay leaves, parsley and thyme.

The size confused me, looks enormous in relation to the cutting board, which is why I assumed a roast. 

51 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Looks like a roast? :shrug:

Roast? I’m going with tenderloin from a Big foot 

how big around is that?

How old is that?

and if it’s a buck defrost and soak it in a simple water kosher salt pull out as much blood as possible keep changing water 

mix up some soy sauce, honey, garlic and brown sugar marinate. For an hr and sear/cook rare on grill

Disclaimer: if it didn’t look like that and was fresh loin: salt pepper olive oil and pan seared rare 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cant tell what that is but whatever dont be afraid to  trim it  and cut the fat and freezer burn away to get to the nice red meat underneath.     I marinate and season mine with olive oil garlic powder, garlic, parsely,  salt and pepper and then I melt some butter in a cup and add some sherry (about half cups worth  of this mix depending on size of roast) and overlay it in a covered dish in the fridge overnight.

Mixture solidifies nicely  then you can grill it or bake it to rare...no more than  med rare... and use the marinade to baste it while its cooking.   Sautee some mushrooms and onions on the side and add them over the cut up meat (thinly sliced).    Smaking me lips now..

Edited by Baccigalup

Hot grill to sear exterior. Cook interior to Medium rare and no further. The backstrap meat is soft so watch the feel of the meat when you press to test it’s progress. It will feel soft and underdone but be medium rare. 

I dont do much more than a little salt and pepper to season. I like to taste the finish product and not some marinated sauce masking the product. 

A lot depends on what it came off of.  A big old buck during the rut and those heavily seasoned and marinated, or slow cooking, recipes are probably the way to go.  But if its from a nice supple young doe you ruin it with all that crap and it only needs salt, pepper, and a quick sear.