mattyice902

Haddock Fishing Boston

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I just want to make sure I have the regulations right. I can haddock fish in State waters in Massachusetts right now? On April 15th I can haddock fish in Federal waters. Looking at the regulations I think I should be all set in State water just want to make sure GOM doesn't override Massachusetts Regulations.

I've also never tried to haddock fish in state waters. I fish out of Boston, any depth I should try this weekend? I was just going to go past Boston light and Try say 75-100-150-200-250-300 Feet. I was guessing they would be at the drop-off hump but no idea. I know guys used to Cod fish just past Boston Light but guessing Haddock aren't that close?

I never caught a haddock in that close but have done real well in state waters for codfish. I think you’d be better off waiting till the 15th and trying in the waters just in front of the northeast corner of the bank. If this year is like last year you should do well. 

1 hour ago, giggyfish said:

I never caught a haddock in that close but have done real well in state waters for codfish. I think you’d be better off waiting till the 15th and trying in the waters just in front of the northeast corner of the bank. If this year is like last year you should do well. 

Good advise:)

While it is possible it is either not likely or well kept secret spots? Most haddock can be caught in 150+ feet reliably and will be offshore near much deeper water nearby (like 250ft and deaper). I'm not sure of too many spots in state waters like this but would love learn otherwise. 

Cod on the other hand can be caught in fairly shallow water and in state waters. But according to all those extra smart corrupt people that influence the laws, there are no more cod in the GOM and illegal to keep them. 

Back in another time we once caught them right of Castle Island pier. later on we would do very well right out of the beach at Hull in a boat. When the old light ship was out on anchor we would go out of Nahant and do well around it. The cod left us the same time the haddock did and now for the most part you need to go out to the stellwagon banks and fish the corners SW. Given that the haddock have sort of exploded of recent time who knows if you might not find some in the old haunts , especially in and around the Hull area . Good fortunes 

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

Back in another time we once caught them right of Castle Island pier. later on we would do very well right out of the beach at Hull in a boat. When the old light ship was out on anchor we would go out of Nahant and do well around it. The cod left us the same time the haddock did and now for the most part you need to go out to the stellwagon banks and fish the corners SW. Given that the haddock have sort of exploded of recent time who knows if you might not find some in the old haunts , especially in and around the Hull area . Good fortunes 

We got one haddock just outside Hull Gut about 20 years ago and that was it. The closest I find for consistency would be around the Stone Barge and the Old Dumping Grounds. Both of those are just outside the demarcation line so no go before the 15th. 

Note that the world record haddock was caught within sight of Graves Light back when Carl chased young women almost as much as he chased fish!

Unless you got a time machine with enough plutonium to fuel your flux capacitor I think you should probably save your fuel till the 15th. 

I did not get out much last year, but the year before we were getting keeper haddock (still better offshore) inside 3 miles. A few off Nahant and more off Cape Ann. All on jigs. So, it can be done, but not in great numbers...

I wish they were in closer. I'd love to catch one some day, as well as big pollack.

any decent inshore pollack fisheries? I've only caught harbor pollack

I remember catching tons of pollack inside the little river at the Plymouth Power

Plant on little diamond jigs,very early 70s.I imagine you can't even go in there

now.

7 mins ago, troutworm said:

I remember catching tons of pollack inside the little river at the Plymouth Power

Plant on little diamond jigs,very early 70s.I imagine you can't even go in there

now.

Yea you cant go  there now. I've caught tons of bass and blues there tho but the cops and harbor master show up everytime. 

Decent pollack?