Spigola

Favorite hot dogs

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

Someone else posted a pic of hot dogs and beans. Made me wonder what are your favorite hot dogs. 

In my house we like the Boars Head natural casing hot dog.  When grilled properly they have a snap  when bitten into and a perfect hot dog flavor.  Almost as good as a Nathan's hot dog at Coney Island.  

Hebrew National, Nathan's or Sabrett, on the grill, very well done, almost burnt, and yes, they should snap when you bite them.  My favorite by far, with spicy mustard and extra sauerkraut. 

The best deal in town though is the Costco hot dog and drink for $1.50.

Here in Huntington, Long Island, we have a pork store originated in Bklyn. Forest Pork Store.

Their hot dogs are what we buy when we want a "dirty old hot dog" loaded with fat/calories and not what we should be eating. But, delicious. Maybe three times a year, we enjoy their great hot dogs and, while there, buy their liverwurst tube which is also terrible for our diets but so delicious. Sometimes, you just have to do it. 

But, to stay on topic, we feel these are so much better than Boars Head/Nathans/Sabrett. 

as a teenager I had a old station wagon w/ an Hot Dog insert two burner two boil one steam trays . two were  the dirty water the other was for the buns . They were Sabrett dogs w. their own spicey onion & kraut . Alot a people don't know that dot dogs ( at the time had number rating like shrimp ) come in different sizes per pound or 5 lbs . We would buy direct from the Bronx distributor . A lot of times they would sell us 2nds not 100% quality made $$$ . I followed the Dr Pepper concerts in central park & would sell out in hours . No we never changed the water . 

A lot of good ones out there, but all come in 2nd to Saugy Dogs .... slightly charred on the grill, snap when you bite into them, a very fresh bun .......... and oh so good with whatever tickles your fancy for a topping.

2 hours ago, Spigola said:

Someone else posted a pic of hot dogs and beans. Made me wonder what are your favorite hot dogs. 

In my house we like the Boars Head natural casing hot dog.  When grilled properly they have a snap  when bitten into and a perfect hot dog flavor.  Almost as good as a Nathan's hot dog at Coney Island.  

Inclined to agree. Boars head is a nice dog. Gotta have the natural casing, makes a big difference. 

Schickhaus, available in Shop Rite and served in Max's in Long Branch. You can buy em by the box at Wennings on Broadway in Long Branch, NJ. Now these dogs are the big kind, they split when they are grilled, known as Boardwalk Dogs, others like Thumanns, Sabretts, even Boars Head or Hebrew National are distant losers to the Schickhaus. I do enjoy a dirty water Sabrett now and then.

13 hours ago, Trout tracker said:

Kirkland all beef wieners by far

Very time I go into Costco I have to get one?  What a deal.

Each region has great dogs; you have to look for them. Western Ma. has Blue Seal, made in Chicopee or Hadley. When I'm in Wareham, Pearl city country club dogs, and I think they are from New Bedford or Fall River. And then down around the Jersey shore area, the awesome Shickhaus dog. The basic supermarket dogs are just edible.