Dogfisher1

Keeping live shiners in a kayak.

13 posts in this topic

I'm a generally a lure man in the salt, but I wanna try for some lake trout this year and a friend told me to try live shiners. How do you guys keep them alive in a kayak? I've heard bait bucket in the water, mesh laundry bag with pool noodle in the water,  or a bucket with a bubbler on board. The water's still pretty cold right now. Will they die if I keep them in the water?

I've done it from time to time.. not for trout  but lmb fishing..

went to Petco bought a battery operated bubbler and hooked it up to a 3 gallon bucket.... worked fine.

I use an Engel bait cooler. Living in Florida and summer heat, the shrimp stay alive all day and the water stays the same temp as the bait shop had given you. 

I’ve used a small cheap plastic Frabill bait bucket with the flip top lid. Works fine for a dozen or so shiners and small enough that it can be stored between your legs for easy access. Costs around $5. 

On 4/9/2019 at 9:55 PM, Bigred78 said:

I use a normal bait bucket tied to the back of the boat. I just drag it inside every time i move spots.

exactly...

Shiners in a bucket is the start.

Depending on the temps, you may want to tie it to the kayak and hang it in the water if it's a really warm day, or keep it onboard with a bubbler on cool days.

Keep in mind that shiners don't do well in warm water. They do best in cool water.

ALSO...if you hang a bucket over the side make sure the lid is secured!

I did it once from a row boat without checking and as I was fishing I kept seeing these little fish darting around my boat. It took almost a dozen before I realized my bait was making a break for it!

What you could also do is keep a bucket in a bucket, with the smaller inside bucket having holes poked through (by you) so when you hang THAT bucket over the side the fish will get plenty of O2 from the pond. Then when you haul it back onboard you put it in the larger bucket (filled with enough water) and they're good to go at the next spot.

I should mention that depending on what you are targeting and whether or not it's legal in your state (it is here in MA) you could try catching small sunfish and live lining those.

I do it mainly because of lack of shiners and how poorly they hold up on hot summer days. Since most fish that you would catch on shiners will also eat sunfish, it's a free alternative when they are available...and they are available for most of the open water season (Sunfish can breed more than once a season).

4 hours ago, Stripermadness said:

Hobie makes a nice livewell that fits in the back of their kayaks but for shiners all you really need is a bucket and a bubbler

I have the Hobie Livewell. It’s amazing. I’ve kept peanuts alive ALL day. It’s saved the day numerous times for me.

I use a system UI first saw at the Harrisburg outdoor show. Its called "Bait Up". It raises the minnows to the top for easy access to bait your hook. No more net to catch the fish. s-l640.jpg