Southcoastphil

How/when do you fish solid eely plugs?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I have some BMs and what I think is a BilllyD, roughly 8" long, skinny. lip shape would suggest sub-surface swimmer.  This one (BillyD, IIRC)  tips the scales at 2 1/4 oz.  

As always, TIA for your help.

IMG_0849.JPG

100 views and not a single response?  

What the...?

I can only imagine that my question is SO simplistic that none of you deign to even acknowledge it with a response;

OR

None of you fish them.

Wish I could offer some input Phil, but unfortunately have never fished that particular plug.  I imagine that to be killer in some very light current, swam on the surface.

Anywhere there is bunker.  Fish it like a danny. Slow slow and slower

Do not like the 3 sets of hooks but would need to to see how it swims

Posted (edited) · Report post

I can tell you what Danny told me. He designed these to compete with plastic minnows that were being thrown on spinning gear in the late 70's on the Cape.  I found the action quite subdued.   He made a few different sizes, straight and jointed, sloped  and non-sloped heads. He called them Sandeel plugs.

Edited by SC

Seems like you can walk the dog or twitch to side while retrieving

i would remove that middle hook and keep front and back possible inline if you’re really into. Just personal preference 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:48 PM, Captain Ahab said:

Anywhere there is bunker.  Fish it like a danny. Slow slow and slower

Do not like the 3 sets of hooks but would need to to see how it swims

Thx for your help.

Why/when might one select this skinny plug vs a Danny?

7 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Thx for your help.

Why/when might one select this skinny plug vs a Danny?

I would use it whenever they are possibly feeding on herring, shad or the like.  Early spring type stuff or late fall

I fish my eelies a few feet down. I really like fishing them at night and just before sun up when the tide is between slack and mid or vice versa. 

8 mins ago, scrapper said:

I fish my eelies a few feet down. I really like fishing them at night and just before sun up when the tide is between slack and mid or vice versa. 

Best eelies out there!!!

On 4/6/2019 at 8:56 PM, Southcoastphil said:

100 views and not a single response?  

What the...?

I can only imagine that my question is SO simplistic that none of you deign to even acknowledge it with a response;

OR

None of you fish them.

Phil i think you need to test these out and see yourself. I'm thinking at a test site or while in an actual fishing situation.

People can tell you but if you test them out you will know what they do and see what they do and take the guess work out a 0 dark thirty.

I have a test facility nearby(i recommend getting one yourself) that i bring new plugs in my possession to to test.

I see how they cast with different drop lengths, retrieve with all different style and speed retrieved and most of all how the look.

I go to the waterfall and see what current does to these findings as well.

When i get out on the water i want to know what a plug will do for different situations.then i plan from there.

When I'm fishing whether its the ditch or beach i Always have a plug or two that i do some kind of mental test on. A lot of times its after sunup or slow fish times.

Your plug pictured looks very nice i would like to hear your findings,how deep,castability ,ect.

Cheers mate:th:

I would take the back treble off.  Not sure that is a billyD but you can PM him here.  Very nice guy and I know he'll answer all your questions.

Good luck.

Like RR Bridge fisher said, its a good idea to test your plugs in the water in daylight before actually fishing them. You would be surprised what you can learn about a plug(s) by doing this. You can also "tune" many plugs including metal lips if its not doing what its supposed to do.