Live lining Porgy?

Rate this topic

bantis

I was talking with a coworker who I found out also fishes, and they said they used to live line porgy over 10 years ago for Stripers but cant do it anymore because its 'illegal'.  Out of my own curiosity I tried finding out if its true, but was unable to find any material in regard to using porgies for bait.  It would make sense that using undersized fish for bait is a no no, but im interested in the exact rules.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, bantis said:

I was talking with a coworker who I found out also fishes, and they said they used to live line porgy over 10 years ago for Stripers but cant do it anymore because its 'illegal'.  Out of my own curiosity I tried finding out if its true, but was unable to find any material in regard to using porgies for bait.  It would make sense that using undersized fish for bait is a no no, but im interested in the exact rules.

Not only perfectly legal as mentioned above (so long as the fish is legal to keep), but if you hook it right and clip the dorsal fin with a scissor to give it an erratic swim and make it easier to swallow, it's lethal.  When the porgies are thick out on the North Fork, I've had some of my best days live lining porgies.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

In the Late 80's/early 90's , We would go offshore to chum blues ... & always stop at the Atlantic Beach Bridge or other inshore structure/bridges for live bait . Very small hooks would provide for plenty of live Bergalls, occasional porgies, small sea robins, all were killer for the blues ...

There was also an area back then  in one of the western back channels where the water was really "hot" ( temp.), I mean HOT ...  It was very easy to target small snapper sized jacks ( Blue runners? ), Spanish mackerel and snapper blues there for bait on a consistent basis from about Very late Aug-Early Nov ....

Give begalls a try ...

Edited by MeatChicken
spelling