salt deficient

LL bean waders still worth it?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Uncle Stu said:

Steve--hippers and splash pants? I'm intrigued. I assume the waders are on the outside? What are the pants like?

Hip boots on first then water proof bib style splash pants with suspenders like Grundens go over boots. Then water proof jacket over the top. Belt in middle. Comfortable way to stay dry and maneuver around rocks or the beach. Long walks into and out of surf spots is a lot easier than with waders. Only draw back is you can’t wade over your knees. I carry both waders and hip boots/splash pants in car and put on what I need based on spots to be fished. Lots of places in RI just require the hippers and splash pants. Btw, hip boots have felt soles and spikes.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Hip boots on first then water proof bib style splash pants with suspenders like Grundens go over boots. Then water proof jacket over the top. Belt in middle. Comfortable way to stay dry and maneuver around rocks or the beach. Long walks into and out of surf spots is a lot easier than with waders. Only draw back is you can’t wade over your knees. I carry both waders and hip boots/splash pants in car and put on what I need based on spots to be fished. Lots of places in RI just require the hippers and splash pants. Btw, hip boots have felt soles and spikes.

I like it. You're thinking outside the box with a solution that makes an end run around the industry standard of $500 waders every year or two. Two thumbs up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve tried them several times and returned them each time. They just didn’t fit right. If they don’t fit I don’t care how long the waders or the warranty lasts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently returned a pair of waders to LL that were a couple years old. I also tried returning a pair of boots that are toast and they told me to pound sand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/10/2019 at 5:09 PM, Uncle Stu said:

I like it. You're thinking outside the box with a solution that makes an end run around the industry standard of $500 waders every year or two. Two thumbs up.

When i was a kid fishing the jetties, 70's &80's, in NJ hip boots or knee high boots(red ball boots with golf soles were the favorites) with foul weather gear pants over them were standard uniform, kept us dry most of the time unless really big swells were breaking over the jetties. If i used them now i would add some of those thick heavy duty rubber bands at the cuffs/ankles of the boots to keep the water out, in fact we used to do that when wading out on a sunk jetty that was only fishable at low water. The doge van was my home back then ! Tim Coleman of new england fisherman magazine fame took this picture back when he was a starving college student. RIP old friend.

Asbury spriped bass2.jpg

Edited by alaskansteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alaskansteve said:

When i was a kid fishing the jetties, 70's &80's, in NJ hip boots or knee high boots(red ball boots with golf soles were the favorites) with foul weather gear pants over them were standard uniform, kept us dry most of the time unless really big swells were breaking over the jetties. If i used them now i would add some of those thick heavy duty rubber bands at the cuffs/ankles of the boots to keep the water out, in fact we used to do that when wading out on a sunk jetty that was only fishable at low water. The doge van was my home back then ! Tim Coleman of new england fisherman magazine fame took this picture back when he was a starving college student. RIP old friend.

Asbury spriped bass2.jpg

Steve, that's were I got the idea from, Tim Coleman and Pat Abate. Both were my earliest mentors way back when. Both were some of the most innovative surf fishermen I've ever met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Steve, that's were I got the idea from, Tim Coleman and Pat Abate. Both were my earliest mentors way back when. Both were some of the most innovative surf fishermen I've ever met.

Me & Timmy fished together a lot back then, one of the scariest nights i ever fished was in a lightening storm on the humpback in deal i was hiding between the rocks scared ****less, it was like a horror movie with the flashes. Timmy never missed a cast ! I still have the cut off 540 Harnell & squidder thats in the picture.

Edited by alaskansteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25% off today if you have an LLBean Mastercard or are willing to apply for one at the time of your order.  Just today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad they opened a store on L.I. 

11 months auto return for new.

Put a lot of miles on em if they havent leaked by then they will soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.