salt deficient

LL bean waders still worth it?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

I like my boot foot waders for when I'm walking through a lot of much, but prefer the stocking foot with boots for just about everything else. I've got the cheapest boots LL Bean makes with some TEK screws screwed into the soles, only had them about a year but they're holding up pretty good. 

I believe Cabela's branded items have a lifetime warranty, so that's one avenue. If you've got an absurd amount of money lying around you can look into Patagucci stocking foot waders as their warranty is awesome

The bottom line is all..... and I mean all breathable waders suck for surf fishing. I rarely get over 3 weeks out of any breathable wader before it starts to leak. Usually two weeks.  Purchase aqua seal and keep repairing them. As for ll bean I wil continue to purchase them because they are as good or better than other breathable waders in that price range. 

1 min ago, Billwetzel said:

The bottom line is all..... and I mean all breathable waders suck for surf fishing. I rarely get over 3 weeks out of any breathable wader before it starts to leak. Usually two weeks.  Purchase aqua seal and keep repairing them. As for ll bean I wil continue to purchase them because they are as good or better than other breathable waders in that price range. 

I've seen you mention that before.

How is that possible...

Most places I fish involve trecking over a mile before I even cast.  And I can get a season or two prior to some sort of failure using them 75-100 days per year.

And that includes everything from navigating acre plots of multifloral rose, sliding down banks, Scrambling up and down boulders and a miles of sand.  Along with kicking for miles and miles wearing flippers.

The last leak I had in a pair of waders (which stay in the back of my suv year round)  was probably back in 2005 when I had a cheap pair of orvis silver labels and Snowbee neoprenes.

Are they failing around your wading belt?

I get waders are disposable....but 2 weeks???

10 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I've seen you mention that before.

How is that possible...

Most places I fish involve trecking over a mile before I even cast.  And I can get a season or two prior to some sort of failure using them 75-100 days per year.

And that includes everything from navigating acre plots of multifloral rose, sliding down banks, Scrambling up and down boulders and a miles of sand.  Along with kicking for miles and miles wearing flippers.

The last leak I had in a pair of waders (which stay in the back of my suv year round)  was probably back in 2005 when I had a cheap pair of orvis silver labels and Snowbee neoprenes.

Are they failing around your wading belt?

I get waders are disposable....but 2 weeks???

Montauk is tough on waders..

18 mins ago, Billwetzel said:

I had my Orvis Breathables for 4 years....maybe use only 10-20 xs a year.....never had an issue. I never kick them off, I give em a rinse after use and every few times I'll soak and gently wash with laundry detergent so nothing crystallizes then rinse and hang dry. I take care of those because they were expensive and in return they are lasting me.

they don't make waders that can stand up to RI, too many rocks (not simply jetties, you don't need waders on jetty,  but trying to wade through bubble weed boulder fields).......even a weekend warrior, being very careful,  would ruin a pair in a season.....the warranty was the only reason to buy LL beans....

I bought an expensive pair of Simms years ago and fished hard in them for a week in the Rockies.  They leaked and i sent them back. Got em back all patched up. Must have been 30 patches easily inside.  You couldn't tell by looking at them.  No idea what the hell i did. Not like there's brambles and sticker bushes out there.   

23 hours ago, DonkeyLips said:

+1 But I only use these in the bay and fresh water.  Sand gets in the stocking foot waders in the surf and that's no good.   I would love to have the bootfoot Simms, but at $800 = ouch! 

Regarding the sand issues on the beach... have you tried surf booties over stocking foots? They are soft and comfy, nonslip on rocks, and sand wont get in if you wrap them with Orvis Infinity gravel guards. The only downside is walking on sharp rocks if you're hiking in, but not a big deal if you watch where you step. 

3 hours ago, Billwetzel said:

This has been my experience as well. I surf-fish a couple times a week and now I try to reserve my Simms breathables for fresh water and the coldest mornings of winter. Its not super cold here in Cali, so I wear neoprene paddling pants most of the time. Yeah they are chilly but I'm good for hours if I keep my core warm with a thermal tee and wool sweater and rain jacket.

16 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

they don't make waders that can stand up to RI, too many rocks (not simply jetties, you don't need waders on jetty,  but trying to wade through bubble weed boulder fields).......even a weekend warrior, being very careful,  would ruin a pair in a season.....the warranty was the only reason to buy LL beans....

This is why I went wetsuit and never looked back. Waders never cut it in deep water with plenty of sharp rocks for me.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:41 PM, Farflung said:

RE: the comments on LL beans warranty. I have bought a lot of stuff over the years from them on the "one and done" philosophy. Always figured that I was paying a premium for the warranty. But I did not mind as I figured that it would pay for itself in the end and I was getting a quality product. I'm surprised that some smart lawyer has not got a class of people together to sue LLB.

A court rejected the challenge to the recent change in warranty condition.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The only time I got more than one season out of  a pair of waders was when I started wearing hip boots and splash pants as a alternative. I have been doing this for the past several years and I can't believe I still have a three year old pair of LL Bean waders that don't leak. The hippers and light splash pants are much more user friendly at least where I fish because I don't wade over my knees on most fishing trips. Walking lone distances into spots is much easier too. When I just wore waders it was a nightmare. I would routinely wreck a several pairs during a regular surf season. Mostly due from sliding down rocks or puncturing with hooks, fish fins or other sharp objects. With that said, I always bought Bean waders when they were available, liked them a lot and returned them with no problems when I could no longer fix them with patches and Aqua seal. I was told recently by a Bean sales associate in a store that just opened near me that they still accept defective wader returns if the customer possesses the  sales receipt. Has anyone tried to return a destroyed pair lately?

Edited by VanStaalSteve