LL bean waders still worth it?

Rate this topic

salt deficient

I've been looking at the USIA custom built boot foot waders online. They get good reviews for being built super tough, with custom sizes and BOGS boots. Small company from Oregon, made in USA, you can call the owner, from what I hear. They built up their company making wetsuits for military contracts. They are NOT breathable but I'm thinking that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for a pair that lasts a looooong time. 

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. 

Over time, I got tired of all the throw away waders. I tried many brands including the Bean and Orvis. They are ok, but they all leak after the second season. I finally bit the bullet and bought the Simms G3’s. They are pricey, but now i’m into them for 2 seasons and they are perfect. The sizing options with the Simms are better, and the materials are thicker. The bootfoots are a 1000 times mor comfortable than anything else out there. 

Many guys, including myself that measure over 6’ in height end up buying waders made for shorter people. This puts pressure on the knee area and the seals around where the boots meet the material.This causes many leaks. The. Simms offer LONG SIZES on some of there waders. Much more comfortable. Made here in the USA and have a good warranty. If they leak, you send them to Simms for repair. Sometimes you can find discontinued models at a discount on the big bay. Spend a few bucks extra and buy the quality.

16 mins ago, Drew C. said:

The best thing about bean waders was the warranty. Without that, they aren’t worth it. 

+1 - it's as simple as that.

When they cut down the warranty, they reduced their costs moving forward, so the price of the waders should have dropped accordingly.  Yes, people did abuse their liberal return policy, but that was priced into the sale price of the waders.

I've only owned one pair of waders from them, used sparingly, and they have a pinhole in them somewhere.  I'm not sure the quality was anything to write home about, it was more their willingness to replace without question.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

I had a 1 year old pair of beans that started leaking last year. They were in great shape. I was able to get a replacement under warranty. I sprang a leak in the new ones after a few times out, but there was a visible hole. I repaired it with aqua seal. If the seams start leaking, I Doubt they will replace them again. If they dont, I'm done with them. The reason I bought them at their price was the warranty. I have a pair of $60 waders that started leaking but I didn't want to deal with shipping, that's why I bought the beans. The quality is about the same. Id rather buy 3 or 4 pair of those and patch as required than spend the money on overpriced beans if they no longer have their lifetime warranty.

I own more than a few bean products. Their waders were the only thing that ever let me down. Their clothing, shoes, etc - they’ve all been great and NO issues. 

Their waders, not so good. I had one pair leak the second time using them, others damn close to that. With the warranty, it was well worth it. But I’m not going to drop $300 on waders that will develop a significant leak in under 10 uses. 

I will continue to buy their other stuff but never again on the waders. 

Edited by Drew C.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

3 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

I've been looking at the USIA custom built boot foot waders online. They get good reviews for being built super tough, with custom sizes and BOGS boots. Small company from Oregon, made in USA, you can call the owner, from what I hear. They built up their company making wetsuits for military contracts. They are NOT breathable but I'm thinking that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for a pair that lasts a looooong time. 

I am very curious about the USIA waders.  I am on the shorter side, and I have a hard time finding waders that fit my waste and chest without being way too long.  They aren't cheap, but they have lots of customization options in addition to the size.  Very tempted to pull the trigger.  

5 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

They are NOT breathable

I was researching them before.  When I read that I think if my hands in a rubber gloves...no way. Do waders make you sweat like gloves?  Ive only ever worn breathables. Never even understood the need for neoprene 

1 hour ago, quack said:

I was researching them before.  When I read that I think if my hands in a rubber gloves...no way. Do waders make you sweat like gloves?  Ive only ever worn breathables. Never even understood the need for neoprene 

I'm sure they would make you sweat on a hike. But maybe worth the trade off for waders that last a long time?

I have worn neoprene waders. If I bought them again, I would get the waist high kind. Less of your body inside, and easy to take a leak. Right now I'm wearing waist high Simms breathables and when its not too frigid, I wear neoprene paddling pants with neoprene dive booties. Way cheaper and no leaks ever. You're already wet inside!

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:01 PM, Tagman said:

Over time, I got tired of all the throw away waders. I tried many brands including the Bean and Orvis. They are ok, but they all leak after the second season. I finally bit the bullet and bought the Simms G3’s. They are pricey, but now i’m into them for 2 seasons and they are perfect. The sizing options with the Simms are better, and the materials are thicker. The bootfoots are a 1000 times mor comfortable than anything else out there. 

Many guys, including myself that measure over 6’ in height end up buying waders made for shorter people. This puts pressure on the knee area and the seals around where the boots meet the material.This causes many leaks. The. Simms offer LONG SIZES on some of there waders. Much more comfortable. Made here in the USA and have a good warranty. If they leak, you send them to Simms for repair. Sometimes you can find discontinued models at a discount on the big bay. Spend a few bucks extra and buy the quality.

+1 But I only use these in the bay and fresh water.  Sand gets in the stocking foot waders in the surf and that's no good.   I would love to have the bootfoot Simms, but at $800 = ouch!  The again, as Tagman says, having the perfect waders literally is the best thing in the world.  Decisions, decisions.  

Aquaseal is your friend when your waders leak, not the returns department.

1 hour ago, DonkeyLips said:

would love to have the bootfoot Simms, but at $800 = ouch

You don’t have to spend $800.00. I just checked on the big bay, there is a closeout on brand new  Simms G3 bootfoot waders. Many sizes to choose from. $499.00 shipped from an authorized dealer. Same ones I have, and I think I paid more.

Instead of spending close to $300.00 or more for the Sh-t waders, spend a few bucks more and buy the best.

Edited by Tagman

I've had some great luck with bean stocking foot waders, 3 pairs over 10ish years, the two times I returned went smooth. A decent amount of miles and rockhopping on mine too. I  Always hang my  waders to dry I think the seams don't like being crumpled up in the trunk with salt

"A jury of flies, likely to condemn and betray all the trouts in the river" - Izaak Walton

On 4/5/2019 at 4:49 PM, Uncle Stu said:

Went on USIA’s site and I have to say I was impressed. Pricey, for sure, but appears to be a quality product  that gets good reviews. I love durable products and still use 20 year old Gralite waders. Tough as nails. Will hate it if they ever wear out. 

My current beans have probably **** the bed. I wore them Saturday, have a substantial leak in the left leg. Hopefully I can fix it but they’re probably not gonna last too much longer. Not sure what I will do next. I don’t need bootfoots all that often. I usually wear my stockingfoots. For those I can justify Simms. Not sure that I can do that for bootfoots. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.