salt deficient

LL bean waders still worth it?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think LL bean was the last company to offer a long warranty.  Or atleast, make an item worthy of a long warranty........  They say 1 year return and after that is possible, but might be questionable from what I have been reading.

So, what do you suggest for insulated waders?    I am think of their waterfouler pro boot foot neopreme waders.   I would use them for surf, but I would be using these for spring trout,  where keeping yourself warm is a bit more challenging.   I tend to get my feet cold a bit easier than most folks, but prepare for it too.....

So, these waders are about $250 with boots built in.  I already got a basic frog togs stocking foot wader, no boots yet though.  The ones didn't fit me.  I mainly been using cheapie hip waders.   The banks of the streams are muddy.   So, studded ones might be better than felt soles.  However, I do own a inflatable boat, but I can pass on using them with this boat.

Also, are boot foot waders gonna live shorter than stocking foot.  Seems boot foot is going away.  $200-300 for wader and $150-200 for boots for them is an investment........

Edited by salt deficient

Cant comment on the waders. But disappointed they changed their warranty policy. Think there are better waders on the market for the price with similar warranties. I did buy LL Bean wader and most of my decision was based on their warranty policy. They made the change shortly after I purchased. Curious if they will still honor it. Haven't had any issues yet though.

17 mins ago, Slampig said:

Cant comment on the waders. But disappointed they changed their warranty policy. Think there are better waders on the market for the price with similar warranties. I did buy LL Bean wader and most of my decision was based on their warranty policy. They made the change shortly after I purchased. Curious if they will still honor it. Haven't had any issues yet though.

They will not. I tried with a pair of Kennebics.

16 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

They will not. I tried with a pair of Kennebics.

Did you try and return to a store or you shipped back to them?

I have a leaking usless pair that was purchased under the old warranty and the store I called said bring them in for them to look at.  I will remain optimistic.  If they refuse to honor the warranty it will be the last LL Bean item I purchase.

Just now, RocksMeEasy said:

Did you try and return to a store or you shipped back to them?

I have a leaking usless pair that was purchased under the old warranty and the store I called said bring them in for them to look at.  I will remain optimistic.  If they refuse to honor the warranty it will be the last LL Bean item I purchase.

Tried at a store

1 hour ago, salt deficient said:

I think LL bean was the last company to offer a long warranty.  Or atleast, make an item worthy of a long warranty........  They say 1 year return and after that is possible, but might be questionable from what I have been reading.

So, what do you suggest for insulated waders?    I am think of their waterfouler pro boot foot neopreme waders.   I would use them for surf, but I would be using these for spring trout,  where keeping yourself warm is a bit more challenging.   I tend to get my feet cold a bit easier than most folks, but prepare for it too.....

So, these waders are about $250 with boots built in.  I already got a basic frog togs stocking foot wader, no boots yet though.  The ones didn't fit me.  I mainly been using cheapie hip waders.   The banks of the streams are muddy.   So, studded ones might be better than felt soles.  However, I do own a inflatable boat, but I can pass on using them with this boat.

Also, are boot foot waders gonna live shorter than stocking foot.  Seems boot foot is going away.  $200-300 for wader and $150-200 for boots for them is an investment........

I have not treated mine poorly...and I probably get 16 days of salt and 12 days of fresh per year. This will be the fourth season in them. No issues other than slight fraying around three bottom of the gravel guard cuff   kennebecs.  Nice and light.  I like them.  Can't see how orvis would be any better and bean are significantly less money.  I think they are a solid mid-upper tier product. If you treat them, well, they will last.  If you are fishing hard on rocks 6 nights a week....all bets are off.

RE: the comments on LL beans warranty. I have bought a lot of stuff over the years from them on the "one and done" philosophy. Always figured that I was paying a premium for the warranty. But I did not mind as I figured that it would pay for itself in the end and I was getting a quality product. I'm surprised that some smart lawyer has not got a class of people together to sue LLB.

I was recently able to return kennebec waders and got my money back. They wouldn't take back my wading boots which fell apart after two years and still under warranty so now I will never buy another LL Bean product. 

3 mins ago, Farflung said:

RE: the comments on LL beans warranty. I have bought a lot of stuff over the years from them on the "one and done" philosophy. Always figured that I was paying a premium for the warranty. But I did not mind as I figured that it would pay for itself in the end and I was getting a quality product. I'm surprised that some smart lawyer has not got a class of people together to sue LLB.

It's a warranty. The policy was abused for years. It's not a buy it, use for 10 years, experience normal wear and tear, take back for "warranty" replacement.

There is no grounds for a suit. Many companies have moved away from no-questions asked lifetime warranty policies.

It does say on their current policy that if you bought the product before February of 2018 than the lifetime warranty still applies.

I had a pair that was purchased under the old warranty, and was discontinued.  The most comparable replacements were selling for $325 (I paid $139 on closeout for the leaking pair) and they were refusing to honor the warranty the leaking pair.

It was a royal pain, and I had to take it all the way up the food chain to a SVP, who did not admit they owed me a replacement pair, but could sell me the  $325 waders for $50.  

Did LLB honor their policy, no.  DO I think long and hard before I purchase or recommend LLB for anything, absolutely.

What I learned from LLB is the same lesson learned by Orvis and Simms.  The abuse of the return policy (returning waders every year whether leaking or not) sunk that ship.  If it currently manufactured and sold, your chances are fairly good.  But once they rotate out that specific model, you are screwed.

I'd take a check for my kennebec waders. The waders are decent but nothing special. Just didn't wanna deal with the hassle of leaky waders and repair kits which is why i paid the premium for LL bean warranty. Of course that has now changes. Pretty sure I read an article about LL bean being sued over this. Think it was dismissed