brentwayne

Measuring fish on a boat...

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I use the stick on tape rulers on to the inside of the gunnel of my boat and on my kayak paddle. However, I always keep a backup tape or aluminum rule on the boat for close calls or bigger fish. 

...also in redneck country just remember that beer cans are 4.75" tall and depending on the county, the number of beer cans can be a legal method of measuring fish. 

2 hours ago, NHAngler said:

I use the stick on tape rulers on to the inside of the gunnel of my boat and on my kayak paddle. However, I always keep a backup tape or aluminum rule on the boat for close calls or bigger fish. 

...also in redneck country just remember that beer cans are 4.75" tall and depending on the county, the number of beer cans can be a legal method of measuring fish. 

Lol. Love this. 4.75”. I won’t  forget that. 

I picked up a 72" cloth sewing tape at wally world. Doesn't take any room to store. Fits in a tackle bag, cup holder, "white bucket" Never rusts, can be used in the water for quick C&R. Can be used to measure girth if you want to use formula to estimate weight. Only a couple of $.

2 hours ago, Tall Paul said:

I picked up a 72" cloth sewing tape at wally world. Doesn't take any room to store. Fits in a tackle bag, cup holder, "white bucket" Never rusts, can be used in the water for quick C&R. Can be used to measure girth if you want to use formula to estimate weight. Only a couple of $.

Funny- i was thinking about them yesterday. Going to get s couple to have around. Nice and easy

On 4/5/2019 at 1:03 PM, Slappy said:

I made a 52" board that folds for storage on the kayak. Handy for tournaments. 

20190405_125614.jpg

This is a great picture 

Deep Blue Marine makes a nice 42” ruler that’s constructed of starboard. I have one mounted on the rear deck of my skiff. Great product. 

50CA4260-ACED-4914-9092-E1F14876A2A2.jpeg.468e3ec3a7d0577769137fe4bcdc69ac.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/5/2019 at 9:03 AM, MitchellNJ said:

The wood measuring boards on party boats seem to work well. What kind of fish are we talking?

I know a RI commercial rod and reeler ( striped bass) that keeps a 34” wooden board  in his boat. When he catches he just measures up fish next to board. Same size or longer than board it’s legal. Easy as that. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Stick-on rulers work fine & I use them as well. But they do get beat up over time and they don’t stick great to textured surfaces which is why I went to the starboard ruler. 

On 4/6/2019 at 4:56 AM, Tall Paul said:

Cloth is subject to stretch and shrinkage, not a good idea. IMHO

8 hours ago, Cascade said:

Maybe cloth was not the best word to use. It's a vinyl, fiberglass reinforce, material. No more subject to stretch or shrinkage than some of the other suggested options. Would it stand up in a court of law, "No", but as a measuring device to determine if you are close to legal it gets the job done.   

10 hours ago, Cascade said:

Yes, shrinkage = bad :)