brentwayne

Measuring fish on a boat...

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I have a cooler in the front of the boat that has a ruler, but do most of my fishing in the back.  I do not like the stick on rulers too much and am trying to think of a way to have a ruler of some sort near the back of the boat.  Anyone have any suggestions or pics on your measuring system?

Thanks Mitchell. 

Looking for up to 40".  Stripers, flounder.  Back bay fishing.  Actually, now that I look around a bit, maybe a sticker is the best.  Stays out of the way.  Not looking for something obnoxiously large.  Just need function.  Any thoughts?

2 mins ago, brentwayne said:

Thanks Mitchell. 

Looking for up to 40".  Stripers, flounder.  Back bay fishing.  Actually, now that I look around a bit, maybe a sticker is the best.  Stays out of the way.  Not looking for something obnoxiously large.  Just need function.  Any thoughts?

There are good quality aluminum fish measuring devices that work well on most fish. For stripers up to 40" it's not ideal at all. I personally use one for fluke, sea bass, blackfish, porgies, etc. 

FYI, those coolers are not entirely accurate; they vary greatly and I know Fish and Game depts don't like them.

I put little strips of tape on my rod. If it's C&R you wouldn't need precision anyway. If you're keeping them, and they're close, double check before you put them in the box. You would be able to cull 99% of the shorts without an "official" measurement.

Rapala 60" folding ruler.  Plastic, so it won't rust, folds up nice.  Has a flap that helps keep the fish from sliding around.  First fold is at 20 inches, which is good for Fluke.  Works well for $12.

Rapala 60" Magnum Folding Ruler

Thanks Pete.  Never realized that about the cooler.  Good to know and I will check mine to make sure it is on.  The only issues I have is with my Montauk, there is very little room to store anything.  Saw a retractable ruler by Rapala that was pretty cool, but I could see that lasting for only a short while with a metal spring...

1 min ago, JoeyZac said:

Rapala 60" folding ruler.  Plastic, so it won't rust, folds up nice.  Has a flap that helps keep the fish from sliding around.  First fold is at 20 inches, which is good for Fluke.  Works well for $12.

I like that Joey.  Thanks for the feedback.

Put strips of tape where you fish to mark different classes of fish. Since im in the surf I have markings on my rod for 28",36, 40 and anything over that gets burned into my memory for a measurement later

10 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

That looks very nice.   I like the stop idea also.

7 mins ago, ccb said:

That looks very nice.   I like the stop idea also.

The stop is a huge deal.  Flip it up, stick the fish's nose right up against it, and not only does it help secure the fish from sliding, but you know the fish is at 0", without having to guess whether or not it's over/under the start of the ruler a bit.

2 hours ago, brentwayne said:

Thanks Mitchell. 

I would go with multiple approaches. The board works great for smaller fish. Make a line to match the regs so you don't have to keep remembering min lengths.

1 hour ago, MitchellNJ said:

I would go with multiple approaches. The board works great for smaller fish. Make a line to match the regs so you don't have to keep remembering min lengths.

Thanks!  Yea- might be best to have a stick-on ruler and the board...  Maybe I will make something up that folds.

Thanks again.