Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeepCastMike

Suggestions for Rod Rack -TRUCK

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey all, finally bought a truck. Been using a car to go fishing for years. since i have a truck looking for a rod rack for the fishing poles. Not looking to break the bank but something decent. I got a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi.

Agree with port-a-rod recommendation.  Using one on 2014 ram 1500 and it fits and works well.  The bottom of the rod tubes seat nicely in the front bottom corner of the bed with the ratcheting ends sitting right above wheel well.  In other words, it doesn't even have to be ratcheted that tightly into place to be secure.  I've put 12ft surf rods in mine with no real concern.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

do you want to have a cooler also ?  I see them all the time on craigs list listed. there is a place in atco, and he is on line, digital dagger that sells them.

i cut 3 2x4 to fit the notches in the bedliner of my ram and i just lay the rods on them.

Edited by coolhandfluke

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mulled this over for a long time and went with a Thule Xsporter Pro with a mounted Yakima Fatcat Evo. Not cheap but neither is your truck, why should your transportation solution be cheap? Here’s how it looks 

4D7A90FD-7343-416A-BC60-64EC31511CE4.jpeg

Edited by Bluetaildragger

6 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Mulled this over for a long time and went with a Thule Xsporter Pro with a mounted Yakima Fatcat Evo. Not cheap but neither is your truck, why should your transportation solution be cheap? Here’s how it looks 

4D7A90FD-7343-416A-BC60-64EC31511CE4.jpeg

Looks badass

5 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

can you put a cover over the bed with that installed ?

unfortunately I haven't found any covers that are compatible.  It's easy to enough to remove that I plan on removing it in the winter and putting on a tonneau

gotcha...

o looks good but I always like having the top to hide/lock things away. you never know.   I was at lbi one time. pulled in and this guy and kid are freaking out. whats wrong ?  they parked the truck for 10 minutes to go look at the beach and came back to find someone stole his sons brand new set up. not even used.

2 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

gotcha...

o looks good but I always like having the top to hide/lock things away. you never know.   I was at lbi one time. pulled in and this guy and kid are freaking out. whats wrong ?  they parked the truck for 10 minutes to go look at the beach and came back to find someone stole his sons brand new set up. not even used.

Damn, can never be too careful out there.  I just don't leave my gear out of sight.  The ski racks lock for the poles, but you can only trust it so much.  AKA not leaving my Lamis out.  All plugs and tackle go in the cab under cover

40 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

The ski racks lock for the poles, but you can only trust it so much.

I mean couldnt that mean they can just take the reels off scot free?

27 mins ago, JerseyJammin said:

I mean couldnt that mean they can just take the reels off scot free?

If you’re smart enough to leave your reels out in the open unattended in New Jersey, then yes :shaky:

racarod locks both rod rod and reel.  But it isn’t as aerodynamic.  I prefer to just not risk it 

1 hour ago, Bluetaildragger said:

If you’re smart enough to leave your reels out in the open unattended in New Jersey, then yes :shaky:

racarod locks both rod rod and reel.  But it isn’t as aerodynamic.  I prefer to just not risk it 

Yeah definitely haha. Just wasn't sure if it had reel locking capability as well. I'm pretty happen with a sedan moving poles around. Only downside is I can never get a one piece 8-9 ft. 7'6 is about the limit