The Salty Fisherman

What is the Weirdest Fish That You Have Ever Caught?

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

What's the weirdest fish that you have ever caught? i.e. Mutations, weird species, interesting techniques, etc.  I would love to see some pictures as well.  I once caught a snook while on vacation with what looked o be a humped or broken back.  I'll see if I can dig up the picture a little later...  :th:

Snagged starfish a few times.

Strangest was last June "catching" an 18" Hickory Shad. It was hooked on the lower lip by my teaser. It was stone cold DEAD and the eyes were missing.

Not much of a fight and I guess I would rather have a skunk.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had about forgotten about this one. This was in raritan bay a bunch of years ago. Snagged. It was released.  Ok so it’s not a fish but it was an odd catch. 

655A4BDB-7399-409F-A701-F3D24306DE99.jpeg

Edited by saltfisherman

Oyster toadfish. Caught it when I was like 6 years old. Could've swore it was an alien. I'll never forget that day, dock and spot. 

3 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

should have kept it for the tank!

Yeah, I had a few people tell me that, because evidently they are a popular and expensive tank fish, but I really thought there's no way something could go from 500ft down to my tank and live.  It was too cool to kill it trying when I didn't think there was a chance.

I caught lots of oyster toadfish when I was a kid. We called them hackleheads. Weird fish. Caught some bowfin when I lived in the Syracuse area. Slimy pre-historic looking beasts. Their scales would end up all over the place. Great fight on light tackle.