squammer

True Circle Hook Inline with Upturned Eye for snell knot?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I sometimes live-line mackerel for stripers and have used Owner true circle inline hooks, but they do not have the upturned eye for a snell knot. I really want to cut down on foul-hooks and like the use of an inline circle hook to achieve this (engage drag, let fish hook itself in corner of mouth). However, I just want to go back to using snell knots but can't find a true circle hook that is inline and that has an upturned eye. 

I searched the forum and found a million threads and started reading through some but none mentioned the upturned eye.

Can anyone make a recommendation? Thanks.

Edited by squammer

You can still snell with a straight circle hook shaft . If this what your asking we have done it for years for billfish. Hope this helps you, it works fine . Just my 2 cents 

Why would you want to avoid cocking the hook ?

Seems to me that unless you are trolling the baits, that cocking the hook would offer a better chance to actually hook the fish. Is there some other reason for avoiding the cocked hook ?

I like the Gamas as well. If all you have is a straight eye, either snell omitting the eye, or run the like in from the gap side of the eye so it turns in naturally, which helps push the hook point into the fish (IMO).

12 hours ago, ermghoti said:

I like the Gamas as well. If all you have is a straight eye, either snell omitting the eye, or run the like in from the gap side of the eye so it turns in naturally, which helps push the hook point into the fish (IMO).

Great. Will do, thanks.