Ditchbag

Fishing safety thread

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Before everybody gets too excited and going out and not thinking very much I think we should go over some basic safety crap. I'll start off by saying that I wear either sunglasses or safety glasses 95% of the time that I fish. I do this because in my younger days trout fishing I ended up with a rooster tail stuck right in my eyebrow 1 inch from my eye.

1) Hook cutters.

The bigger size of your hook, the more demanding the cutter you should carry.

I've seen some nice compound wire cutters, once posted here on SOL for Canal use and those 4/0-5/0 VMC trebles.

Someone please post that again!

2) Contact info in your bag, in case you are found unconscious

3) Bandages

Two good ones I wish I followed. 

Got hit in the nose once yanking a stuck plug. Was dark, didn't see it coming. Felt like getting punched out of the blue. No hooks in me but inches from both eyes. Made me wish I could stand safety glasses.

I had to turn down a guy's request for help extracting a hook because I had no cutters.

As an aside, he had waited too long and pain and swelling had made it much more difficult to extract. I would have yanked it if it were me but he was close to being in shock. Was afraid he'd faint.

If you have to yank one, do it instantly soon as it happens. While adrenaline is still high, swelling hasn't started and the pain hasn't peaked.

Exhausted driving is probably the biggest risk many of us face. Those of us who live far from the water frequently drive crazy distances are at high risk driving home. 

That is the issue I find is getting tougher in my old age. 

Something else I carry is styptic powder.  Ive always carried it for my dogs to stop bleeding from small cuts in the field.

A few years ago I got a horrible cut on my hand at work.  Bleeding like a stuck pig. Couldn't drive. I thought about calling for help, when I remembered the stypic powder. Poured it all over the hand. Within 15 min it caked up, and I was able to drive for help. You can buy it at any pet store.

Great tips thus far! Glasses, stypic (fish rag wraps no bueno), and nap before hopping on 24 north. 

I will add, always be aware of who is around you while fishing around people. They don't pay attention to your back swing. 

Also, whopper ploppers tend to snag everything, hooks are extra sticky. Got one stuck on my bathing suit then embedded dangerously close to the bait and tackle. Stay safe! 

I once got a big cod teaser hook stuck in my finger and pushing it thru past the barb wasn’t an option after two clinics the dr used a large hollow hypodermic needle to cover the barb a pulled the hook out, I now keep one in my offshore medical kit, a bit of lidocaine helped as well 

tried to push a hook through my finger to snip off the point/barb a couple years ago. Not an easy thing to do- your skin is a lot tougher than you may think. hook was new thank goodness, cant imagine trying this with a "dull" hook. Second problem was trying to snip the hook with my left hand- i am right handed. again, not an easy thing to do with cold, shaking bloody hands. beware schoolies thrashing with double belly hook jointed plugs.  

How about check the batteries in your lights .  A few years ago I was down in Jersey out on the jetty at the south end of Beech Island State Park .Going out my light seemed a little dim after fishing for a few hours catching a few schoolys it went out got my back up light out and it was dead only thing that got me back out of there with my cell phone. Now I carry six AAA batteries on me as spares with the end electrical taped  over .Also something I learned as I got older if you're going to be dumb you gotta be tough

1 hour ago, Ditchbag said:

How about check the batteries in your lights .  A few years ago I was down in Jersey out on the jetty at the south end of Beech Island State Park .Going out my light seemed a little dim after fishing for a few hours catching a few schoolys it went out got my back up light out and it was dead only thing that got me back out of there with my cell phone. Now I carry six AAA batteries on me as spares with the end electrical taped  over .Also something I learned as I got older if you're going to be dumb you gotta be tough

Good call