KnewBee

Safe n secure phone

15 posts in this topic

To elaborate on an earlier description of how I carry my phone, adding some pictures.   With this set up, my phone has gone "under" on four occasions.  A couple times, while loading out dockside, I would bend over and the phone would fall out of my PFD pocket and go "in".  No worries.  Another instance, I went "in", again, no worries.    Aside from taking pictures, checking Spark Alert App and weather, finding the bridge tunnel in the dense fog (google maps) and the return track to launch, coordinating a link up with friends, recording length for tournaments, etc... the phone is a serious safety piece of gear.    Looking at my pics, I see I need to upgrade the starting to rust "ring".   I now zip up the PFD pocket to keep it from falling out when I bend over during launch or recovery. 

The auto retractor device can be found at a variety of stores or on line.   Have gone through three in about three years.  They eventually stop "retracting" and need replacement

I had used water proof bags before I figured this out. 

Picture2.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Picture4.jpg

That is cool, I just use something like this. You don't have to worry about anything, always around your neck, never in the way you can tuck it in your life jacket and waterproof and floats, I'd buy one of these and be done with it.

wcpc.jfif

I have used various waterproof bags.   I find they tend to break (rip) and fog up really badly in the summer.   Also, in the heat of summer, my phone would overheat.   The lifeproof, though expensive, is the ticket for me.

Had the life proof case and had to get rid of it. Worked as advertised, but I had a continual echo/reverb when speaking. Drove me nuts. I now use glorified ziplock bags. 

Now that I have a phone that is IP68 (iPhone XS), I've been thinking about switching from the cheap waterproof bag/case thing I have to a simple case with an attachment point to keep it tethered to my PDF. I like taking photos while I'm out but sometimes the bag reduces the clarity or just makes it a pain.

Has anyone tried going without a waterproof case or bag? I'm worried the frequent exposure to the salt, even though I don't usually get it wet, would eventually cause the phone to pit or corrode. 

If its not completely dry its useless IMO...

I don't think there's a touch screen phone out there that works properly with even a slightly wet screen.... you might get lucky from time to time but that's only a percentage thing.....

If you're gonna depend on the phone for emergency communication & keep it on you, you'd be wise to bag it.....

10 mins ago, BillZ said:

If its not completely dry its useless IMO...

I don't think there's a touch screen phone out there that works properly with even a slightly wet screen.... you might get lucky from time to time but that's only a percentage thing.....

If you're gonna depend on the phone for emergency communication & keep it on you, you'd be wise to bag it.....

I use my in downpours all the time.  Samsung with the lifeproof is near indestructible.   Screen works fine when wet.   Not so well with thick gloves. 

Why lifeproof?   Back in the day, a friend dropped his out of a helicopter at about 400 ft. into the woods.  Next day, he and buddies searched the are in the daylight.   Phone and case were fine.  I was "sold" 

I use an old offline phone out on the yak for pics, if I lose or ruin it no big deal. When I get home I can use/send the pics via Wireless Fidelity.

Tried 2 different lifeproof cases, they both warped and started leaking quickly, and call quality is terrible, hard to get off, I prefer a bag with the magnet closure.

4 hours ago, KnewBee said:

I use my in downpours all the time.  Samsung with the lifeproof is near indestructible.   Screen works fine when wet.   Not so well with thick gloves. 

Why lifeproof?   Back in the day, a friend dropped his out of a helicopter at about 400 ft. into the woods.  Next day, he and buddies searched the are in the daylight.   Phone and case were fine.  I was "sold" 

To be clear here, I'm talking about a touchscreen without a case on it,  You go on to say you're using your phone with a life proof case.

If you're using your Samsung (assuming galaxy) without a case in wet conditions and it works all the time then your the exception....

I stick by what i said....Im using a Galaxy S8 ..... screen gets wet,  finger strokes don't register properly.... Maybe once in a while, but not every time...

Not a reliable form of emergency communication if you're gonna need to pull it out & use it (without a case) it you're in the water......

When I was with the DoN, the phones were Samsung Convoy 2 and then 3 - IP67 (IP68 is bogus, but that is another one or 2 of my posts, search for it) covered water immersion and pressure fed dust and Mil-Std-901C covered medium weight shock.  After going out on disability, I upgraded to Convoy 4, which is a 3G phone with the same  IP67 and Mil-Std-901C qualifications.  Unfortunately, Samsung never came out with the Convoy 5 for 4G,  With the Convoy4, it is becoming harder to communicate well with 4G phones unless thru the hands free on my 2016 4-Runner, so I will soon come to a cross roads.

The military, last I heard, went to smart phones installed in the Otter Box.

I've been focused on this issue for weeks now. While researching an elegant solution I dropped my iPhone7 in the lake and never recovered it. My replacement is an iPhone8 and supposedly "Rated IP67 (maximum depth of 1 meter up to 30 minutes) " so I have been using a simple shock absorption case to protect it from drops. That said, it feels like just a matter of time until it takes a swim. It is thin and slippery and I can see it slipping out of my pdf pocket or any other common ways phones go swimming. It will sink so I know I need to go back to at least a tether.

I have grown to hate the waterproof bag because it's a pain to open/close and pics can be blurred thru the plastic. I know it will heat up come summer. I also have an Otter Box but that is so damn bulky during daily use I stopped using it.

Since dropping is my main concern (given the phone is highly water resistant) I am going to attach the tether to my existing el-cheapo slim case I use now. I see where the tether lead can be slipped between the case and on of the openings. I have one of those retractable Boomerang things.

20 hours ago, BillZ said:

To be clear here, I'm talking about a touchscreen without a case on it,  You go on to say you're using your phone with a life proof case.

If you're using your Samsung (assuming galaxy) without a case in wet conditions and it works all the time then your the exception....

I stick by what i said....Im using a Galaxy S8 ..... screen gets wet,  finger strokes don't register properly.... Maybe once in a while, but not every time...

Not a reliable form of emergency communication if you're gonna need to pull it out & use it (without a case) it you're in the water......

That's a good point about emergency situations. If the screen gets splashed under normal conditions it can always be wiped off and then it's usable, but if you're treading water that's not gonna happen. I guess you could ask Siri or Google to call 911 but I'd hate to rely on that. 

11 mins ago, drmevo said:

That's a good point about emergency situations. If the screen gets splashed under normal conditions it can always be wiped off and then it's usable, but if you're treading water that's not gonna happen. I guess you could ask Siri or Google to call 911 but I'd hate to rely on that. 

Solution:  carry a marine radio, the waterproof kind.  Best for emergencies.  

I foresee more of a need for 911 if I get attacked by a snake.  Doubt they would get to me in time, but at least they will know where to locate the body.   Run across them often when I am at least 40 min from launch down some back woods creek or swamp.  

2 hours ago, KnewBee said:

Solution:  carry a marine radio, the waterproof kind.  Best for emergencies.  

I foresee more of a need for 911 if I get attacked by a snake.  Doubt they would get to me in time, but at least they will know where to locate the body.   Run across them often when I am at least 40 min from launch down some back woods creek or swamp.  

If I’m in the rivers and back bays where there is no line of sight, which is probably most of my fishing, the radio wouldn’t do me much good, though.