Springer

Cherokee suspension question

26 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, Wolfdog said:

Jeep guy here. Your rear leafs are definitely stock and flat. Can you get a picture of your rear shackle. He could have put in a longer one for the lift. Go to rock auto and order some new leafs u bolts and struts and replace them. I’d stay away from lifted leafs because there’s other things that need to be addressed if your going taller. Take some better pictures of the front lower control arms too.

A few angles on the lower control arm. What are you looking for there?  I am going to show my ignorance but I had to look up “lower control arm” to know what to photo. I am leaning towards having this done. Any idea what range I should expect to have a shop do the work?  I appreciate all your input?

28494A80-02A9-4199-87D9-FE6DD1A6EF59.jpeg

916A7F4F-0239-4BC1-B0CC-20E70A24A660.jpeg

7EF4C76C-DFE0-4C32-B1EC-57A04EF69C24.jpeg

Those lower control arms are stock. That means your trucks not lifted. The coils springs look stock too. I couldn’t see your rear shackle in your first pictures but after looking over it again it does look like a add a leaf on the rear. Add a leafs are much stiffer then the rest of the spring pack and when added , they tend to flatten out the other leaf springs. Personally if it were me I’d replace the suspension with stock, and maybe add a budget boost in the form of a shackle and a spacer. If you do want to go ahead with a larger lift kit you will also need to replace the lower control arms and and the track bar with a adjustable one. I included some prices I looked up quick for reference. I can’t tell you what a mechanic will charge you but it took me a good day to install my lift. 

C5065D4C-6B4E-48F2-B9B8-C08A12BBD61E.png.9523c7cf682e205b0758660c8ae0c1dd.png586452F5-CE85-4A39-A930-3668C8017333.png.18cb4bf51530bc90918adbd6c8f5a3f3.png371FCE38-3A4F-4B6E-A550-C4F82A8D7609.png.5c6d250eb4c6ce3fe65312bde2018e76.png4A8F5070-B5C1-4D77-8BEA-30E7824CE630.png.ec6f12c79bb88f94e977aadc3aa12a3b.png

39 mins ago, WhereisStrathmere? said:

Not to derail this thread.... but it looks like the shaft seal on the front diff might be leaking or it may just be the pics. 

This thing does seem to seep some fluids. I get that checked regularly. There aren’t stains in the asphalt underneath it and it does a lot of sitting over the winter. 

On 4/9/2019 at 7:46 AM, Antagonizer said:

Wolfdog is spot on.  I used to have a 99 sport and got everything from rock auto and it wasnt expensive. Get new leaf springs, shocks and a leveling 2” lift kit.  You will be fine.  

Here is mine when I completed it.  Mad a world of difference in ride and handling. 

5128C43F-E722-41DD-8B70-B0FC1FD77CAB.jpeg

Looks like there is a fat chick in the back seat. Maybe two. 

12 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

I’ll add to the above post with this. I’ve owned my cherokee for 7 years and it’s been on the beach the whole time. The cherokee imo is the best beach vehicle that has ever been made. I’ve replaced alot of parts over those 7 years including replacement of the 331 cylinder head, and at 230k it runs awesome. The parts are cheap and available everywhere. Personally the way I’ve destroyed my truck with salt and sand, I would never want to buy something newer just to end up in the same place in a few years, and not be able to to get parts as easy or cheap. If the Jeep needs a few parts then just replace them and put some money into it and you will have a reliable buggy for many more years to come. 

20171129_064902.jpg.9cfcc2a3fc189b8428ea974b19d76128.jpg

I've had this since 2013. A 94 sport. Its got just shy of 180k. Been a bit of a fixer upper since I've got it but beats a payment per month and the thing just keeps on going. 

Do not go too high with a suspension lift as it can cause problems with the geometry of the truck as far as steering, the easiest part about working on an old jeep is ordering the parts, the hardest part about working on an old jeep is dealing with the rusty hardware, they are great trucks.

pic of my jeep,

1673.jpeg

1 hour ago, Redrhino said:

Do not go too high with a suspension lift as it can cause problems with the geometry of the truck as far as steering, the easiest part about working on an old jeep is ordering the parts, the hardest part about working on an old jeep is dealing with the rusty hardware, they are great trucks.

pic of my jeep,

1673.jpeg

Nice ride.  Thinking about picking up a beater cherokee with a straight six to rehab and put on the beach-save the wear and tear on the WK.

Thanks Gill, This XJ was going to the scrap yard and I got it from my friends kid for nothing.New parts and a lot of time and some broken knuckles.There are a bunch of these trucks around for sale, see you out there.