mtl50

When does it go from fun to obsession?

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Nice selection and very reasonable amount of tackle. I see no reason not continue to add to your arsenal. It's nice to have something new or different to throw when it's slow. If I don't like the way a  new plug or lure fishes I put it in my for sale box and use proceeds to buy the latest "hot" thing. I think it's a fun part of fishing trying new stuff.

After 45 years of buying I still fish 3 or 4 go to baits the majority of the time so might border on obsession.

3 hours ago, giggyfish said:

You’re not there yet bud you just have a small place, the problem lies in your surroundings not you. You just need more room. I suggest you keep buying gear so when you move into a bigger house it won’t look empty. 

That is with out a doubt the perfect response! Now I won't feel the least bit guilty. And in fact, we are in the middle of buying a house in Florida.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

My wife and I went to see a physchologist/therapist/counselor/whatever about our daughters problem hitting her cousin and little brother.  After getting some background information about our daughter and the family dynamics she turns to me and says, “Andrew, you have a fishing addiction.  When your wife is talking to you you are not present.  You are thinking about fishing.”

Check.  Mate.

pfffttttt tell her she doesnt know diddly until she hooks into her first big girl

That the issue, every time walk into any tackle store there is bound to have some item/s coming out with you even though you may not need the item/s in the first place.

I have a compulsion.

I know I have it when I clime into bed (in the dark room)two or three in the morning and my wife says---WHO IS IT?!!!!!!

THAT WILL GET YA THINKING ABOUT YER MARRAGE .

It’s not an obsession until you ruin the other more important parts of your life in favor of fishing. You still have a job, an intact marriage, relationships with family and friends? If you answered yes to any one of those, then you’re not obsessed with fishing. Carry on!

Need a basement where you can hide it all! My wife rarely wanders into my area of the basement for my fishing stuff.  Occasionally when down there she will make a comment but then moves on.

15 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

After getting some background information about our daughter and the family dynamics she turns to me and says, “Andrew, you have a fishing addiction.  When your wife is talking to you you are not present.  You are thinking about fishing.”

Check.  Mate.

That sounds about right, but also extends to meetings at work, and family events.

15 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

My wife and I went to see a physchologist/therapist/counselor/whatever about our daughters problem hitting her cousin and little brother.  After getting some background information about our daughter and the family dynamics she turns to me and says, “Andrew, you have a fishing addiction.  When your wife is talking to you you are not present.  You are thinking about fishing.”

Check.  Mate.

And your paying this lady ? Id tell her hey i dont need this kind of negativity.

My obsession phase has passed.  Thankfully I was single and I'd drive to western side of Michigan several weekends a year to fly fish for salmon and steelhead, and some nice trout.  After I met the Princess we moved to Jersey and surf fishing was more fun time for me.

Cabo