Bogey

Spiked footware

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I’ll be 83 next month and have just been put on Eliquis (an anticoagulant) because of a DVT, which means I must not fall on my head. I do a lot of fishing along LIS where the only access is areas of stones, not rocks but golf ball and baseball sized  stones  they are very slippery. I have a pair of korkers 5000 which are heavy and clumsy and constantly need tightening and tapeing.  I’d appreciate any suggestions for a lightweight shoe or sandal with spikes or some other non slip surface. I do a lot of walking along the edge which is very tiring with the k 5000s.

What about taking a felt resoling kit....and glue it to the bottom of a pair of hiking boots

This is going to be hard to hear as it was for my parents who are both on blood thinners with significant health issues, but it's probably time to change your routine. Sometimes the risk just isn't worth it. No good piers around or easier(safer) access?

Hi,

I use the below for traction and can fit over any shoe.  Works well for rocks and ice :)

Spikes.PNG

No fish should risk your health but their are options in order to deal with the rocks, You should probably try felt soles instead of spikes.

I have similar problems and take a strong blood thinner too. I have been on Xaratol for years but continue to surf fish rocky areas. I have found that switching waders for hip boots and light weight Grunden splash pants to be a much more comfortable and easier way to crawl around jetties and other rocky spots. I do have felt soles on the hip boots ( Frog Togg Cascade model) and I put small Orvis studs in the felt for added grip. The system works out well. Much better than Korkers. I will add too that I use a wading staff on many ocassions and find it to be a real bonus when negotiating tough areas and when walking long distances into spots. If I don’t bring the staff I’ll use my surf rod instead. Good luck

the korkers boots (not strap on sandals) have some change a sole options rubber lugs, felt, and carbide studs / spikes that arent as tall or wobbly as some of the big screw in studs

the korker boots arent cheap though and some models are kinda heavy

like said above, a lightweight felt sole wading boot with some lower profile studs screwed in may give ya good footing in varied terrain

- cabelas ultralights wading boots are cheap on sale ~$55 and light-weight

- theyre not all that durable but if youre not beating the crap out of em they should do the job

i think the cheaper, softer aluminum studs that come with some boots would do better conforming and gripping the stones you're describing than any carbide spikes

Id go with the korkers boot with the interchangeable bottoms like the others have mentioned. Plus the ankle support will help as well. All kidding aside you should wear a helmet when fishing. Sounds stupid but it will save your life. All it takes is one spill on the rocks being on an anticoagulant and its game over. Good for you for fishing into your 80s, I hope thats me someday. 

20 hours ago, OU812 said:

Hi,

I use the below for traction and can fit over any shoe.  Works well for rocks and ice :)

Spikes.PNG

What are they and where did you get them? Thanks

As others have mentioned, you really need ankle support as well as traction. If you land on an odd sized slippery rock with no ankle support you will likely go down. Hip boots, knee high boots and boot foot waders provide little ankle support. Go with the Korker's wading boots with the carbide spiked interchangeable soles. If you are wearing them with stocking foot waders go a size up. Before using them remove all the spikes and put some blue locktight on the threads. It will keep them in place and also allow you to remove them if they need to be replaced.  

No boot no sole is going to stop a fall on terrain like this. It is 100% guaranteed that a fall will happen and if the first one does not kill you there will be repeats.

Small rounded rocks soon blunt spikes. But spikes will not stop you falling. The spikes attached by chains shown above are just about the worst footware  option.

Your call but none of the foot wear suggested is going to keep you on your feet every step.

Tight lines to you.

Mike

Any of you guys tried Rock Treads? They look interesting, and always had concerns about spikes on smooth rock. 

rocktread.jpg.ad124fa1b4023ac69c703797cc697a17.jpg

I have a few pairs of awesome rock shoes with spikes I got from Australia they are awesome-they are almost like dive  or surf booties with spikes on them they were not crazy expensive either and had shipped to me at a cheap cost. The only thing is over time they dull but they are like glue on wet rocks and wet rocks with weeds on them-I bought them for block island and they unlike the fishing did not disappoint. If are interested I will take a picture of them