squammer

Lures for Shimano Teramar SE Medium 7' Rod?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just bought a 7' Shimano Teramar Medium X Fast rod rated for something like 8-17 lb line. With all the help I received in a separate thread I now know the reel to put on it. I am buying into this setup as a light tackle rod to cast small lures off my boat and dock for stripers in the 20-30" range. I fly fish, so I am into light tackle. I was thinking SP Minnows mainly and in my mind, I was thinking of some smaller soft baits and lighter bucktails too. 

My question is -- what lures and weights should I be buying for this rod? I like the Hogy Paddletail 2oz, as well as the Andrus Jetty Caster bucktail in 1oz I have used on my bigger rod. Hogy also makes a 1oz version of protail paddle and I can get 1/2oz bucktails. Would this work? Any other advice on smaller/lighter lures (specifically soft baits and bucktails) would be awesome!

Edited by squammer

52 mins ago, Seadogg said:

The rod has a lure weight rating printed on it. Anything within that range. 

Sure but I was hoping to hear what people really use. The lure ratings on rods seem to be inconsistent from what I’ve read. Rod says up to 5/8oz so I can’t use a 1oz lure? Seems hard to believe but this is why I am asking.

10 hours ago, squammer said:

I just bought a 7' Shimano Teramar Medium X Fast rod rated for something like 8-17 lb line. With all the help I received in a separate thread I now know the reel to put on it. I am buying into this setup as a light tackle rod to cast small lures off my boat and dock for stripers in the 20-30" range. I fly fish, so I am into light tackle. I was thinking SP Minnows mainly and in my mind, I was thinking of some smaller soft baits and lighter bucktails too. 

My question is -- what lures and weights should I be buying for this rod? I like the Hogy Paddletail 2oz, as well as the Andrus Jetty Caster bucktail in 1oz I have used on my bigger rod. Hogy also makes a 1oz version of protail paddle and I can get 1/2oz bucktails. Would this work? Any other advice on smaller/lighter lures (specifically soft baits and bucktails) would be awesome!

I know the rod well. 2 ounces is way too much for that rod. 1oz and down is my recommendation. Bombers, SP's, and most 6-7" saltwater jerbaits are the max that rod is designed to throw. Overloading the rod, like a fly rod, leads to bad casts, shorter casts, or broken rods. 1 oz is definitely pushing that rod, IMO.

There are many saltwater striper lures in the 1/2 to 7/8oz range that will cast well on that rod. Smaller softbaits, 3/4 oz bucktails, smaller jerkbaits, small poppers, etc will do nicely with that setup you have.

1 hour ago, TopwaterPete said:

I know the rod well. 2 ounces is way too much for that rod. 1oz and down is my recommendation. Bombers, SP's, and most 6-7" saltwater jerbaits are the max that rod is designed to throw. Overloading the rod, like a fly rod, leads to bad casts, shorter casts, or broken rods. 1 oz is definitely pushing that rod, IMO.

There are many saltwater striper lures in the 1/2 to 7/8oz range that will cast well on that rod. Smaller softbaits, 3/4 oz bucktails, smaller jerkbaits, small poppers, etc will do nicely with that setup you have.

This is great! Thanks Topwater. I am going to look into lighter softbaits now... from initial research it looks like I will need to rig them myself using light weight jig heads. 

5 hours ago, squammer said:

This is great! Thanks Topwater. I am going to look into lighter softbaits now... from initial research it looks like I will need to rig them myself using light weight jig heads. 

Most 5' shads like Tsunamis or Storms will be OK; they're under an ounce. Storm GT search baits are under 1oz and will catch bass. 6" Slug-Go's rigged weightless or on an Owner Beast hook will be OK too. 

Tight lines!

7 hours ago, squammer said:

Sure but I was hoping to hear what people really use. The lure ratings on rods seem to be inconsistent from what I’ve read. Rod says up to 5/8oz so I can’t use a 1oz lure? Seems hard to believe but this is why I am asking.

Try it first and then ask.

7 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Try it first and then ask.

Hoping to avoid having to do this...

34 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Most 5' shads like Tsunamis or Storms will be OK; they're under an ounce. Storm GT search baits are under 1oz and will catch bass. 6" Slug-Go's rigged weightless or on an Owner Beast hook will be OK too. 

Tight lines!

This is great! 

Very productive so far.

2 mins ago, squammer said:

Hoping to avoid having to do this...

Dude fishing is all trial and error there's no magic bullet. Sure you can cut the learning curve a bit but not by that much.

4 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Dude fishing is all trial and error there's no magic bullet. Sure you can cut the learning curve a bit but not by that much.

I hear you but I just don't want to have to buy stuff that won't work out. I've made a ton of progress already in this thread learning about what to use. How is this not the correct approach?

Edited by squammer

The lures you should be throwing are the ones that imitate the type of bait your target species of fish is feeding on at the time.  The rod you're using has, literally, nothing to do with the lure, except that it will be physically limited to casting a given weight range.  

Also, just for your own info - that line rating printed on the rod is completely, utterly meaningless.  The rod does not know or care whether you're casting 8# test or 50# test through it's guides.  Manufacturers only put those ratings on rods to try to decrease warranty claims due to breakage, assuming that a lighter line, sometimes, will break before some idiot high-sticking with their drag cranked-down snaps the rod.  As with the correct lure, your specific environment and fishing situation determine the appropriate line - mainly the relative importance of casting distance (lighter line) versus abrasion resistance (heavier line).

8 mins ago, squammer said:

I hear you but I just don't want to have to buy stuff that won't work out. I've made a ton of progress already in this thread learning about what to use. How is this not the correct approach?

Pro tip: use the lure that works :)

3 mins ago, squammer said:

It's the wrong approach because we (and you, presumably) don't know will be in the water off your dock when you start fishing - it might be spearing so a little crystal minnow would be a good lure, or it might be sandeels so a 6" sluggo would be best, or it might be blueback herring and a big lipped swimmer or pencil popper would be the thing to throw.  we also don't know how you cast - if you're just soft-tossing stuff 30 feet then you could cast almost anything safely with that rod, but put 17# mono on it and try to cast 150 feet to an opposite bank against a 20mph wind and your options are going to be very limited. It's all situational, stuff you can't predict and plan for - you just need to go out and do it.

10 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

It's the wrong approach because we (and you, presumably) don't know will be in the water off your dock when you start fishing - it might be spearing so a little crystal minnow would be a good lure, or it might be sandeels so a 6" sluggo would be best, or it might be blueback herring and a big lipped swimmer or pencil popper would be the thing to throw.  we also don't know how you cast - if you're just soft-tossing stuff 30 feet then you could cast almost anything safely with that rod, but put 17# mono on it and try to cast 150 feet to an opposite bank against a 20mph wind and your options are going to be very limited. It's all situational, stuff you can't predict and plan for - you just need to go out and do it.

Well it seems to be the right approach because it elicited multiple productive responses -- including the one you just provided. I appreciate your advice   :-)

I really just didn't know what was available in the weight class I am working with. Now I do. Question Answered = correct approach. Thanks!

Edited by squammer