Spinning Rod for fluke and blackfish jigging?

Rate this topic

Rangler

I know this topic has been brought up many many times. I tried to read most of them if I did not miss anything.

I am looking for a spinning rod that will be paired with daiwa BG 3000. it will be mostly used as back up on the fluke party boat(no deep water fluking) for friends.

Here is the list that I gathered from searching all day.

I am trying to stay around $100 but I would willing to spend extra if the rod can serve as blackfish jigging rod as well.

Which one would you recommend? Also open to any other recommendations!

Tsunami Trophy Series Slow Pitch Jigging Spinning 661MH ($90)

Tsunami Trophy Series Slow Pitch Jigging Spinning 701H ($90)
Trevala Butterfly Jigging Spinning ($130)

Jigging World Nexus Spinning 701S-MH ($140)

Trevala S Jigging Spinning ($180)
Black Hole Charter special 6'8" spinning (I would consider it if it is still $185 but looks like the price went up to $240)
Black Hole challenger 701L ($350)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Rangler

The price of 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special spinning rod is $215 and 7' Black Hole Challenger Bank 701L spinning is $325. The shipping and handling charges are automatically added when you buy them at JIGNPOP. You can buy them at local shops without any shipping charges.

We test them heavily. They are all good for fluking as well as tog jigging. 

Especially the 7' Challenger Bank 701L rods are choices of experienced tog jiggers and excellent rods for fluking. 

Not many anglers use  the 6'8" Charter Special rods for tog jigging. I caught 15 lb grouper using 25 lb drag with the rod and you don't see any problem to use the rods for tog jigging. And I also landed 50 - 60 lb tuna with the rod. I plan to use them for tuna upto 100 lb on upcoming tuna trip in Panama.

I fish big snapper or cubera on jigs in Mexico from tomorrow and the 6'8" Charter Special rod is the only rod I brought for them as I have confidence with the rod.

Edited by ksong

I'm not a fan of slower action rods for fluke jigging.  I tend to use the fast jig method & a slower action rod simply doesn't impart a lot of action on the jig because most of the jigging action is being absorbed by the rod.  So fast to extra fast action is what I prefer for fluke - both in the bays & the ocean.  Blackfish is a 2-edged sword.  Since you're generally fishing gnarly structure, you want something with enough nuts to get 'em away from that stuff quickly.  Once they're clear of the structure, a moderate action rod with good backbone comes in handy to absorb the runs of a good fish.  Of all the rods you list, I've only handled the Nexus which, IMO, is a nice stick for fluking & would also double as a light blackfish rod.

Edited by vinnyb

Of the three you have there I have two of them on the boat (the Nexus and the 661MH Tsunami).  The Nexus I got as a combo deal when I bought a Daiwa Back Bay reel, and TBH I'm not a huge fan of it.  Not sure I'd pay full price for it.

The slow pitch rod is great when paired with a smaller reel for jigging for fluke and seabass.  I've never gone after tog with it, mostly because where I fish we're talking heavy lead and current.  I don't think you're going to get away with one rod for both (at least not from the range you have listed), but Tsunami makes their Trophy series - and if you have a hard cap you might be able to swing both a heavier Trophy for tog and one of these slow pitch rods for under $150 combined.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

I have a G.Loomis E6X Inshore (E6X 845S MGM) that is awesome for jetty, bank, or boat fishing. Super sensitive, plenty of back bone, cast a ray of different lures and weights. A little out of your price range but they can be found on sale or a coupon. For the many different applications it can used for... its worth the money in my opinion.

Edited by cec127

Trevala S Jigging Spinning ($180)

100% this rod.  I have it for party boat fluke and it is a game changer. Super lite super strong and great bite detection.  Im not a party boat guy and i out catch people because of this rod I have lots of other good boat rods but this one is awesome. 

16 hours ago, Rangler said:

I am trying to stay around $100 but I would willing to spend extra if the rod can serve as blackfish jigging rod as well.

Which one would you recommend?

Tsunami Trophy Series Slow Pitch Jigging Spinning 701H ($90)

Black Hole Charter special 6'8" spinning

Of the rods you selected I have most..

I wouldn't be so quick to cross off that charter special as the only 2 on your list that I would recommend for your intended dual purpose would be the tsunami 701H and the charter special 6'8...

Both rods can handle fluke and tog without an issue but are very different rods when compared..

The tsunami 701H-

Pros... this is probably the most capable budget priced rod I've ever fished.. I have probably a thousand+ fluke on it and countless tog including many over 10lbs.. I've also put it through the paces on lots of other fish including dozens of 40+ bass last summer in mtk, dorado, albies, a few AJ's and more.. Rod handles anything I've ever thrown at it with ease.. almost seems indestructible (believe me I've tried).. it's a amazing for light action jigging also.. 

Cons... there is really nothing bad to say about this rod except that the action of the tip is more moderate than fast and sometimes when I'm working a fluke rig I like more control over the action of the jig.. this does not come into play with ½-1½oz back bay jigging, but it does factor in when I'm using heavier weights in deeper waters off montauk... there is literally not one single other thing to say negative about this rod.. 

The charter special 6'8-

Pros... in the spirit of full disclosure, I havent put enough time in with this rod yet to make a FULL assessment (especially on BIG fish) but the experiences I've had so far speak volumes and more than cover your uses...

this rod is an exceptionally strong rod that is more than capable of besting your intended species.. much like the tsunami rod above, it's versatility is almost unbelievable.. while fluke and tog are fun on this rod, I can feel that it has the backbone to handle some real brutes.. lifting 8-10lb angry tog away from a rock piles was a breeze and I could feel that it didn't even come close to what the rod is capable of.. for me what really draws the line between these two rods in comparison is the action of the top ⅓. The charter special has a faster stronger tip that is more capable of working heavier deep water jigs with more contact and precision.. as mentioned above, keeping control over a heavy jig on deeper drops can be the difference between proper presentation and skunked... also, I find the charter special to be significantly more sensitive than the tsunami. you can feel much more of the bottom/structure your working and it definitely conveys even the slightest tap with much more crispness than the tsunami will.. 

Cons... once again there isn't much that I can say bad about this rod. However, if I had to pick something it would be that you will not experience as much of a bend on smaller fish. Given its stouter/faster nature smaller fluke aren't going to be as fun to catch as they may be on a softer bending rod.. it's not really even a bad thing, but if you spend more time on smaller back bay fluke and really like seeing a good bend, you may want a softer tip section..

Summary: both rods are more than capable of targeting the tog and fluke you mentioned. What would be the deciding factor for me is, where do you spend most of your time fluking? If your usually in more shallow water and using jigs in the ½-1½oz range, then the tsunami would be my pick.. if your spending more of your time in deeper water situations and frequently use rigs in the 2½oz+ range, then I would opt for the charter special...

Bottom line is you really cant go wrong with either rod..

Last note pertaining to both rods..

I love split rear grips and almost always opt for them.. however, they do tend to get chewed up in a gunnel and I've seen them get damaged badly and even snapped off from damage to the exposed blank section.. to remedy this I always wind up putting a layer of winn grip wrap around that section so as to put a small cushion and protective layer between the blank and the rod holder.. 

I have a few light spinning outfits I use for Tog which include Trevala S, St.Croix Premier, and I may have a custom Black Hole 701L built before next fall/winter Tog season rolls around.  I also have a used Tsunami slim wave I bought here on BST to test out this season also. It is nice to find a rod in that $100 range that fits the bill but IMHO they are hard to find ,especially if you become a Tog Diva !   Someone just told me about a newer rod from Tsunami called a Carbon Shield II which sells for $109-$119.     Its that Nano Carbon stuff which makes for lightweight and strong.  It looks promising.  I am actually going to take a ride to the B&T shop to check them out .

hope this helps & good luck in your search

You know what they say about common sense right...it ain't so common

I'm surprised no one mentioned my favorite series of rods.  I personally like the St Croix Avid Inshore spinning and casting rods.  I own the 7 foot Medium spin rod a 7 foot Medium Heavy spin rod, which I use for fluke fishing on boats in bays and offshore for fluke.  The MH will also see blackfish jigging duty this season.  I also own the same rods in 8 foot for fishing the beach for fluke and school bass.  I recently purchased the 7 1/2 foot MH casting Avid Inshore for blackfish jigging both in the bay and offshore.

I use 10# Sufix 832 on the Medium rods and 12# on the Medium Heavy rods.  It is all you will have to use if you are smart and use a top shot of either mono or fluorocarban and learn how to set and use the drag on your reel.

I think it is hard to find a rod with more power and a better action for the money.  Not to mention the St Croix Warranty.  At 74 years of age, I consider them warrantied for life.  BTW, I've never blown up a St Croix rod.  

Edited by Spigola

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2019 at 2:27 PM, Beachglass Guru said:

Of the rods you selected I have most..

I wouldn't be so quick to cross off that charter special as the only 2 on your list that I would recommend for your intended dual purpose would be the tsunami 701H and the charter special 6'8...

Both rods can handle fluke and tog without an issue but are very different rods when compared..

The tsunami 701H-

Pros... this is probably the most capable budget priced rod I've ever fished.. I have probably a thousand+ fluke on it and countless tog including many over 10lbs.. I've also put it through the paces on lots of other fish including dozens of 40+ bass last summer in mtk, dorado, albies, a few AJ's and more.. Rod handles anything I've ever thrown at it with ease.. almost seems indestructible (believe me I've tried).. it's a amazing for light action jigging also.. 

Cons... there is really nothing bad to say about this rod except that the action of the tip is more moderate than fast and sometimes when I'm working a fluke rig I like more control over the action of the jig.. this does not come into play with ½-1½oz back bay jigging, but it does factor in when I'm using heavier weights in deeper waters off montauk... there is literally not one single other thing to say negative about this rod.. 

The charter special 6'8-

Pros... in the spirit of full disclosure, I havent put enough time in with this rod yet to make a FULL assessment (especially on BIG fish) but the experiences I've had so far speak volumes and more than cover your uses...

this rod is an exceptionally strong rod that is more than capable of besting your intended species.. much like the tsunami rod above, it's versatility is almost unbelievable.. while fluke and tog are fun on this rod, I can feel that it has the backbone to handle some real brutes.. lifting 8-10lb angry tog away from a rock piles was a breeze and I could feel that it didn't even come close to what the rod is capable of.. for me what really draws the line between these two rods in comparison is the action of the top ⅓. The charter special has a faster stronger tip that is more capable of working heavier deep water jigs with more contact and precision.. as mentioned above, keeping control over a heavy jig on deeper drops can be the difference between proper presentation and skunked... also, I find the charter special to be significantly more sensitive than the tsunami. you can feel much more of the bottom/structure your working and it definitely conveys even the slightest tap with much more crispness than the tsunami will.. 

Cons... once again there isn't much that I can say bad about this rod. However, if I had to pick something it would be that you will not experience as much of a bend on smaller fish. Given its stouter/faster nature smaller fluke aren't going to be as fun to catch as they may be on a softer bending rod.. it's not really even a bad thing, but if you spend more time on smaller back bay fluke and really like seeing a good bend, you may want a softer tip section..

Summary: both rods are more than capable of targeting the tog and fluke you mentioned. What would be the deciding factor for me is, where do you spend most of your time fluking? If your usually in more shallow water and using jigs in the ½-1½oz range, then the tsunami would be my pick.. if your spending more of your time in deeper water situations and frequently use rigs in the 2½oz+ range, then I would opt for the charter special...

Bottom line is you really cant go wrong with either rod..

Last note pertaining to both rods..

I love split rear grips and almost always opt for them.. however, they do tend to get chewed up in a gunnel and I've seen them get damaged badly and even snapped off from damage to the exposed blank section.. to remedy this I always wind up putting a layer of winn grip wrap around that section so as to put a small cushion and protective layer between the blank and the rod holder.. 

This is great!

Thank you!