sandflea5

What did I do wrong?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I recently restored an old Craftsman lathe to get back to making a few plugs for myself and friends. Been about 30 years since, but happy to get back. Anyway, turned a few and searched the best ways to finish them using rattles after sealing with spar urethane thinned with turps. I let them dry about two weeks in my boiler room, primed them with Zinnser Cover Stain oil base, painted them  after 5 days with Rustoleum enamel.They looked fantastic! Waited three days and hit them with Rustoleum clear gloss,and the paint crinkled. ... Luckily I only sprayed three before I realized what had happened.Can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong? These  are going to be fishers, so I'm not looking to get involved with an epoxy finish. Do I need to wait longer before the clear coat? Wouldn't mind if a few of them came out pretty....

I've used Rustoleum enamel on some products of mine and found that some colors do not like a second coat. I did one coat and the second coat crinkled  I was wtf ......other colors no problems .....so I just do one heavy coat. Not sure what's happening either ?? I was spraying over epoxy coating so ???

17 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Water over oil

Use the alcohol based primer

I don't know about that. All the components appear to be oil based, clean up with mineral spirits.

Yup, my bad

But the paint did not adhere to the primer which means there's a problem with the surface tensions not being compatible (there's a long thread on this where I had the same issue and had a long talk with the engineer at one of the paint companies)

Again, try the alcohol based primer

Wait longer before clear coating or clear coat right after the color coats. The solvents in the clear are attacking the partially cured color coats. Don't ask me how I know. It also helps to spray the clear from further away so some of the solvents evaporate  before hitting the color. May sound crazy but it works.

Bob

the clear coat was much stronger then the enamel paint and ate through the enamel acting like a remover....this often happens with other brands as well...but mostly when the paint is high gloss and so is the clear....they fight each other.

22 hours ago, sandflea5 said:

Thanks fellas for the replies. Makes sense and give those a try.Let you know tomorrow how I make out...

Had better results today. Seems part of the problem with the crinkle was caused by painting gloss clear over plugs I had used Rustoleum metallic silver. Perhaps they require longer drying or cure time. But I did try spaying the gloss shortly after painting colors and all went well as SC809 advised. Thanks for all the help.

Sam

Good glad to hear it. Nothing sucks worse than doing a good job on the paint and having the clear screw it up. Been there done that.  Just don’t get the clear to heavy and it should work out fine.

Bob