flatlandah86

Fishing Jupiter next week

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Floating if water is calm or if wind is offshore (from West). But, if there’s significant on-shore wind that increases wave action such that slack is created & line control/feel is lost, use intermediate. Experienced saltwater FFs suggested intermediate when I began fishing these waters....problem solved.

Edited by RetiredLearning2ThinkFish
Typo

So unfortunately this is a lack of fish story, but I had a blast trying so I'll spell out what I did and where I think I went wrong

Saturday Morning: Fished south of the inlet from the beach, saw a couple guys soaking bait and catching pompano. Wind was out of the south at about 20, gusting to close to 30. I like to think that I am a passable fly caster, trying on Saturday morning disproved my theory. Got to see a beautiful sunrise and experience som quiet and warmth, which was pretty nice. On the way out I noticed some paths cut through the mangroves and google maps confirmed it was a salt pond connected to the inlet

Saturday around Noon: Rented a kayak and paddled the Loxahatchee with a fly rod. This was tough, the river is fairly narrow so casting with a fly rod was a little tough for me. Saw tons of spawning bass, had a few chase the flies as well. Tried out a couple Mangum Dragon Tail flies in this stretch of river and those things have an amazing action, but they kind of cast like a wet sock. Saw one other guy fishing, he pulled in what had to have been a 6+ pound largemouth. Saw a small gator on my way out, was a great day in general. My one regret? I didn't rub the spray on sunscreen when I applied it on my legs...

Sunday Morning: Fished that salt pond/mangrove thing. It was windier Sunday than it was Saturday, but this area was pretty protected so casting was much easier. I saw a fish throw a wake and I casted at it, but no luck. The mangroves are pretty cool.

So I wasn't able to cross Florida off my list, I guess that means I'll have to go back (shrug). Next time I'll definitely spend some more time wet wading in these protected coves. It's a cool environment I'm not used to, so it was generally cool to see. If I chase bass I'd also pick up a baitcasting rig to make my life a little easier.

Thanks for all your advice, I'll keep you guys updated on my attempts at a fish in every state.