flatlandah86

Fishing Jupiter next week

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've managed to negotiate a half day of fishing in Jupiter when the wife and I go down to see my in-laws on the weekend of the 13th of April. I was planning on doing a morning kayak rental somewhere down there, does anyone have any tips? I was going to fly fish, have an 8 wt and a spool of floating line and intermediate and a fly tying bench with enough materials to add me to a PETA watch list. 

My plan right now is to rent a kayak at Jupiter Outdoor Center on Indian Town Road and paddle around there.

Thanks in advance. 

Fly fishing a kayak in the Jupiter Inlet where Jupiter Outdoors (Love Street not Indiantown Rd) would probably launch you may not be so successful. Better bet would be forget the kayak and fly fish the surf from the inlet south to the Juno Pier from first light until sun-up.  You'll be okay with an 8-weight. Fishermen's Headquarters on Alt A1A may help you with latest fishing reports.   If you're still set on renting a kayak see if they'll get you to Burt Reynolds Park to lthe kayak launch site - it's only a half mile away.  Maybe you'll find something in the oxbow around the park or across the way in Sawfish Bay.  You'll see it on a map.  The inlet currents are a bear, you'll be paddling your butt off instead of fishing..

^^^ That’s solid advice. That weekend you will have mid falling tide at sunrise which is ~ 7:00am. First light is usually 35-40 minutes before official sunrise depending on cloud cover at the horizon. I fish those beaches almost every weekend unless I go down to Singer Island.

This is at the north jetty of Jupiter Inlet

2277174F-6C68-4139-9D7C-030D9DA389AC.jpeg.7f65deffa826e86e44d4ad12ab6e824a.jpeg

If I am there, I will be on my bike so stop me if you see me. 

085648E3-15A6-468F-B7EB-44622C071E92.jpeg.90a44539984b8770e8ae69891d446ae9.jpeg

Btw, if the wind is blowing strong out of the east, you might be challenged with the fly rod. While the winds bring the fish closer to the sand, it also makes casting a challenge. That said, jacks and snook can be caught very close the the beach if they are there. This is one of the reasons I am trying to finish building a 13’ TH surf fly rod. 

There are options off the beach which I can share if your forecast looks iffy. One alternative if the beach is impossible and your are limited to the fly rod would be largemouth bass. Again, can point you in the right direction if needed 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like tomkaz said - wind is a huge challenge for a fly rodder there. It;s not the Gulf coast by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by gman1253

1 hour ago, gman1253 said:

Like tomkaz said - wind is a huge challenge for a fly rodder there. It;s not the Gulf coast by any stretch of the imagination.

And not to be a Debbie Downer, but if the wind blows from the East for more than a couple of days, the weed rolls in. And sargassum weed is the bane of a flyrodder's experience with its ability to grab line like Velcro.

If you are able, find a shop and rent a 12 wt setup and target spinner sharks off the beach! It’s a fish you will always remember! Best of luck!

34 mins ago, JT2 said:

If you are able, find a shop and rent a 12 wt setup and target spinner sharks off the beach! It’s a fish you will always remember! Best of luck!

The heck with renting, I can lend you a beater 12 wt  outfit for a few days. And if you want some real surf casting gear, I can do that as well. Just let me know

Edited by tomkaz

You guys are the best, thanks for this advice. I'll plan on fishing from the beach in the morning, which will be before everyone else wakes up so I'll be able to drive myself. If the winds are unfavorable I may rent a kayak at the Indiantown Road location, even if the fishing isn't worth it I figure it would be a cool area to paddle around in. 

Recent high-energy wind & waves have done a nice job at creating troughs very close to water’s edge.  Try casting your fly parallel to shore into the trough during that 6:30 - 7:30 period of falling tide.  And, if it’s a very calm, bright day you can sight fish for (skittish) snook in the skinny water if you look from well above circa 20’ back from the water’s edge. Snook is C&R unless in 28”-32” slot. Delicious white meat if you fillet by removing skin & dark meat under the ‘line’.

Just to give you an idea of the weed issue, this was Sunday down on Palm Beach. Some beaches are worse than others. North of Jupiter Inlet can be worse than south. Juno Beach area can be clear but Singer Island a mess. It can vary. And on the same beach, even a move of a hundred yards can change things. 

97214E68-2107-4045-9021-CEA102E875EA.jpeg.2a126b793287fbbf70f5f459e449bfb1.jpeg

A48AE7B4-DE9A-4A2E-9E19-EAC8603AE27F.jpeg.c801f310a2c760e2dc1d5a7ecdb375b9.jpeg

Edited by tomkaz

23 hours ago, bmac said:

Call Bob Kraft.  He knows Jupiter better than anybody. 

Oh buddy, that's definitely a stop ;-)

I live in Rhode Island and everyone at work knows I'm heading down there. The number of people that are telling me to go to a spa....

Would you recommend I start out with floating line or intermediate? I have a spare spool for my reel so changeover isn't a huge deal. 

I'll be doing 100% catch and release. I'm trying to catch a fish in every state, hopefully I can cross Florida off the list.