jato1229

Truck bed rod holders?

41 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2019 at 9:32 PM, shark lobster said:

Tension bar with pvc tubes with or without tool box doesnt matter03F630CB-0143-4CD3-BD41-905007E8E16D.jpeg.33bb946ba6c64ad8eda4b26b1b4713e6.jpeg

On 4/3/2019 at 9:32 PM, shark lobster said:

6375396C-5E07-412B-9782-37FC1EAB7975.jpeg

Thanks for the idea. Headed to Home Depot after work and putting this together tonight.

All this nonsense over where to put rods makes me want to hang onto my old suburban forever.  Pickups just seem like the worst vehicle to me for transporting rods unless if you have a full cap and even then I'm not to thrilled about leaving my gear outside....

5 hours ago, pakalolo said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again---SKI RACKS , that is all

4 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Hard to do ski racks on a pick up truck without ladder racks

I've got rhinorack crossbars ( cheap compared to thule/yakima) on my  pick up roof. They just clamp to the door opening, no drilling. Old ski racks strapped to one half.  Kayak sits on the other half on long trips.   I used to have a pvc rack in the bed, but the rods bounced around too much for my liking, esp  on the rutted up beach.  Ski rack holds them nice and secure and out of the way.

5 mins ago, mark77 said:

I've got rhinorack crossbars ( cheap compared to thule/yakima) on my  pick up roof. They just clamp to the door opening, no drilling. Old ski racks strapped to one half.  Kayak sits on the other half on long trips.   I used to have a pvc rack in the bed, but the rods bounced around too much for my liking, esp  on the rutted up beach.  Ski rack holds them nice and secure and out of the way.

KNOWS STUFF^^^^^

20 hours ago, shark lobster said:

You have pic of your setup? Mark

demo1.JPG.6ef274b576f17050740fa40559ba005b.JPGdemo2.jpeg.d53c9b90b8e777d5604f44e7135425f8.jpeg

I gutted the ski rack in  the front and bolted  in pvc with an elevator bolt, the rear just has a piece of pipe insulation on it for extra squeeze. This way I can open the rear rack and slid the rod out and not have the others spin around. 

There's also a pieces of pvc with a flexible pipe bushing on the push bar in front , I only use that for short hops down the beach.

Yup, just clamps.  Very secure and can be removed/ moved easily.  The whole set up was around $200, you only get the feet for that $ from thule.  

I have a Tundra and several years ago made a rod carrier for the bed. I took 2 boards (cedar) and mounted 5 PVC pieces that hangs behind drivers side in the bed. The 2 boards are 1"thick x 18"long x 6"wide. The PVC rod holders mounted on one board are about 12" long---spaced equal distance apart. 

Took 2 brass hinges and attaches the boards together. Mounted 2 hanging brackets to hang the boards on the bed behind drivers side rear window, a small chain running thru the boards so as to allow for adjustment for the board holding the rod holders to set at an angle for the rods to ride about the height of the cab. When I unload, I just lift up the rod holder and lock up in truck. Very light weight and can carry 5 rods for surf fishing for wife and I. Simple to make, just few dollars in supplies. The rod holders have the rubber caps that you see on the Fish Mate carts they use on the beach. Rods ride at just the right height to not catch all the wind.