Truck bed rod holders?

jato1229

I don't have a cap nor cover, but I have a trailer hitch cooler rack that'll hold 8 rods vertical and I've got a combo unit that's part portarod and part homemade that sits in the bed.  I like the latter because it keeps things at a very low angle.  Never ever have to worry about trees, low overhead, drive-through, etc.

I have a tacoma with a rail and I mounted PVC tubes to a board and attached it to the rail.  Angled them back so the rods didn't stick up so high.  I throw a bungee across the reel seats to hold them in for extra piece of mind.  mine go along the sides of the bed, but found this picture of another option.  Not sure if the Ram has a rail system in the bed?

rod holder.jpg

Edited by jkrock

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

Jato:

Are your rods one or two piece and if two piece, will they fit in the length of the bed?  If so, I could post wht I did in the back of my 4-Runner that might give you some ideas for your bed with the rods under the cover and therefore more secure.

4 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Jato:

Are your rods one or two piece and if two piece, will they fit in the length of the bed?  If so, I could post wht I did in the back of my 4-Runner that might give you some ideas for your bed with the rods under the cover and therefore more secure.

would like to see your set up

Hard to see the vertical pedestals on each side, but like the cross members, they are 6061-T6 Aluminum. they have a 90 degree bend in them to support the cross members.  Trick for me was to use 8mm Blind nut factory mounting points for things like clothes hangers, grab bars(rear seat) and net attachments, as I did not want to risk damaging the stock wiring harness by drilling thru the interior panels.  I removed all the stock pieces and made my own brackets and drag links for stabilization front-to-rear of the vertical pedestals.  The surface that the front pedestals rest on is higher than the rear, hence the short horizontal pieces in the rear corners to level everything.  Center piece for long rods (up to 12ft 2 piece) are Rapala, and white pieces are antenna clips - not sure they make the large ones anymore. Small picture on the bottom is packaged overhead hangers.

0403191926.jpg

0403191927.jpg

0403191927a.jpg

0403191928.jpg

blacks sure lock rod hanger.jpg

Edited by FlatWing

Jato - I have a Ram also, I made a rack out of strut and conduit.

The strut slides over those tie down loops in the bed, with a throughbolt/nut so it's real easy to remove.

I angled them so they just clear the tailgate, so in your case you would just flip over the last piece of your cover.

Works good and it's cheap.

I ended up giving it to my buddy and I'm gonna make another one.

Here's some pics:

rack 011.jpg

rack 014.jpg

rack 019.jpg

72212-1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...