Florida fishing April/ May

Rate this topic

MVDCGTO

Looking to take a last minute trip down to Florida end of the month beginning of next.  Would love to fish for some larger species like Tarpon or Goliath Groupers but have absolutely no clue what the hot action will be and where of even if either of those species are around then.   What do you guys who fish down there think?   Thanks for any advice 

Island livin

Let’s start with where you will be staying or targeting. 

East or West coast?

Now far north or south? 

Land or boat based? 

DIY or willing to hire guides/charters? 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

April and May are good months all over but, in general, the hot topic is Tarpon. They've already started roaming the beaches on the west coast, very close to the sand, some nice ones landed at a spot I frequent last weekend. Water clarity is best I've seen on west coast....brings out a lotta curious marine life LoL.

dolphin.jpg.81c2407cf1073351088e574a5d2a1938.jpg

The big rush for the poons is in the Keys as they follow through with their annual migration, May into June. I like the early and late cycles of the migration. Lot depends on where, when, and what. Can't give you much advice on grouper because I avoid them. Sharks, well, that's another story LoL.

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

Let’s start with where you will be staying or targeting. 

East or West coast?

Now far north or south? 

Land or boat based? 

DIY or willing to hire guides/charters? 

Location is wherever the fish are.  I work for an airline so flights are free.   Lol.  Want to charter a guide for 2-3 days 

Edited by MVDCGTO
Island livin

End of this month will be new moon again, great for tarpon. Fish near any inlet on an outgoing tide. All the Hogy products work, but I personally prefer black on a moonless or overcast night, bring a topwater as I tend to find Jack's will pick up the slack when Tarpon aren't biting. 

26 mins ago, Chadmckay said:

End of this month will be new moon again, great for tarpon. Fish near any inlet on an outgoing tide. All the Hogy products work, but I personally prefer black on a moonless or overcast night, bring a topwater as I tend to find Jack's will pick up the slack when Tarpon aren't biting. 

What area?  Miami/ keys? 

Island livin