MVDCGTO

Accessories for your Hobie

14 posts in this topic

Picking up my new outback this week and I was curious what the thoughts here as to what were some vital accessories to have.  Rod holder extensions, anchor trolley, keel guard, etc.   the only things I’ve already ordered are the anchor trolley, the trax 2 cart (sand wheels), mirage drive leash, and the noqua lithium battery kit.   Still haven’t decided between the Lowrance Hook2 5 triple shot or the Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP SI GPS G2.  Wonder if the extra $100 for the humminbird is worth it.   Thanks for any input. 

Sounds like you're on the right track!

A couple of minimum/basic items that come to mind:

-pfd (with pockets for accessories is nice feature)

-Some type of bilge/hand pump in case a hull crack while offshore

-dry box for phone/wallet/keys

-vhf radio, for emergencies and great for communicating with buddies on the water. 

Time on the water will determine the type of extra rod holders and the location of them installed on your kayak, everybody prefers to have theirs set up a little differently based on preference. 

I run the lowrance on my outback and like it. I know people who have the humminbird and like it. Ford vs chevy in my opinion. Up to you if you want to pay the extra for side imaging, I dont have it although I’m sure there are applications where it could be useful. 

1 min ago, DPOL said:

Sounds like you're on the right track!

A couple of minimum/basic items that come to mind:

-pfd (with pockets for accessories is nice feature)

-Some type of bilge/hand pump in case a hull crack while offshore

-dry box for phone/wallet/keys

-vhf radio, for emergencies and great for communicating with buddies on the water. 

Time on the water will determine the type of extra rod holders and the location of them installed on your kayak, everybody prefers to have theirs set up a little differently based on preference. 

I run the lowrance on my outback and like it. I know people who have the humminbird and like it. Ford vs chevy in my opinion. Up to you if you want to pay the extra for side imaging, I dont have it although I’m sure there are applications where it could be useful. 

Yeah have the PFD and the bilge pump is on order.  Been looking up VHF radios.  Will find a drybox, thats a good idea.  Thanks for the insight 

42 mins ago, MVDCGTO said:

Yeah have the PFD and the bilge pump is on order.  Been looking up VHF radios.  Will find a drybox, thats a good idea.  Thanks for the insight 

If it helps at all I just researched the radio a couple weeks ago and went with "Icom M36 01 Floating Handheld 6W Marine Radio". Solid reviews and it's floating so that's a plus.

The also make dry bags for  your vhf radio, phone, keys. I like to have a small first aid kit and some type of bolt cutter in case I need to remove a hook fro my skin.

I'll second the icom floating units. My first one lasted 10 years and probably just needs a new battery. The new one has sealed charging port which is an improvement over the exposed contacts on the battery.

Congrats on the new boat!!I just got my new outback last weekend. The hobie bag that hangs on the seat looks nice. I think i will get one. I also ordered the hook 2 5" triple shot w/  nocqua battery.  Yack attack mount for hook 2 and zooka 2 rod holder. Also picked up the new nrs chinook pfd. Thats it for now...im sure there will be more soon lol

5 hours ago, MVDCGTO said:

Picking up my new outback this week and I was curious what the thoughts here as to what were some vital accessories to have.  Rod holder extensions, anchor trolley, keel guard, etc.   the only things I’ve already ordered are the anchor trolley, the trax 2 cart (sand wheels), mirage drive leash, and the noqua lithium battery kit.   Still haven’t decided between the Lowrance Hook2 5 triple shot or the Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP SI GPS G2.  Wonder if the extra $100 for the humminbird is worth it.   Thanks for any input. 

I went from a 5” HB to the 7” Chirp SI GP...... that extra 2” makes a huge difference, especially when displaying  multiple views simultaneously ... 

Definitely don’t skimp out on the safety equipment. Dry or wet suit, pfd, light/flag, vhf, dry box/bag for phone, bulge pump, etc. all the other gadgets are cool but aren’t necessary NEEDED.

21 mins ago, Spelunker said:

I wish there was more threads like this talking about gear and accessories and fishfinders

I must have missed your fishing report posts and threads. 

It's still preseason for many of us, and people are excited about their new gear. Who cares. If you don't like it, just don't click on the thread. 

Drysuit

Flag

whistle

pfd

waterproof phone case

reflector stickers on paddle and yak

and probably the most important thing”practice self rescue”

you don’t want to find out if you know how to save your own life while you are losing it.

Mines pretty bare, but I picked up the hook2 5 Tripleshot, nocqua battery pack, and a basic ram rod holder. Also grabbed NRS dry pants and NRS booties. I’ll get a full dry suit come fall, but for now that should suffice.